Ethnic Breakdown of the UK-Mapped

Following on from another thread where the question of Britain's future secularity was being debated, the Office for National Statistics have produced an interactive map, showing the ethnic mix of the large conurbations.

Whilst a few areas have large numbers of non white faces, the overwhelming majority of Britain describes itself as 'white, British'.

Sheffield has a population of 547,000.

86% describe themselves as white.

Asians account for 7%

Black British 2.5%

Mixed 2%

Chinese 1.3%

The map can be clicked on to see the ethnic mix in other areas.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2011/may/19/ethnic-breakdown-england-wales?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Following on from another thread where the question of Britain's future secularity was being debated, the Office for National Statistics have produced an interactive map, showing the ethnic mix of the large conurbations.

Whilst a few areas have large numbers of non white faces, the overwhelming majority of Britain describes itself as 'white, British'.

Sheffield has a population of 547,000.

86% describe themselves as white.

Asians account for 7%

Black British 2.5%

Mixed 2%

Chinese 1.3%

The map can be clicked on to see the ethnic mix in other areas.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2011/may/19/ethnic-breakdown-england-wales?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Why did they use different shades of red instead of different colours. I suspect paranoid PCism at work!

Why did they use different shades of red instead of different colours. I suspect paranoid PCism at work!

The shades represent the proportion of the population which is described as white british - the darker the colour the higher proportion. Its just good design practice - far better than using random colours.

The shades represent the proportion of the population which is described as white british - the darker the colour the higher proportion. Its just good design practice - far better than using random colours.

It doesn't highlight the differences very well though. I guess the range just isn't wide enough, one should be off white and the last should be off black. It all looks like one colour at first

I guess its aesthetics versus factual information. It looks better in the same colour but shows the difference better with different colours

whats wrong with good old fashioned black and white ?

Does it really matter what colour the map is shaded? It could have been blue, green or purple. The important thing is the information is accessible and easy to understand. :thumbsup:

Posting at the same time, but I agree with ElasticMan's point about it being good design practice.

Archived