Ethnic Breakdown of the UK-Mapped

I LOVE Sheffielders..I never thought this thread would degenerate into an argument about the design features of the map, rather than the information it was highlighting! :hihi:

I know I'm being lazy but do you know of a similar map that shows the change in these numbers over the past 15-20 years..?

I know I'm being lazy but do you know of a similar map that shows the change in these numbers over the past 15-20 years..?

Afraid I don't truman, only came across this one because I was looking for a similar graphic demonstrating religious rather than ethnic information.

Does it really matter what colour the map is shaded? It could have been blue, green or purple. The important thing is the information is accessible and easy to understand. :thumbsup:

The map isn't easy to understand. The colour bands are for uneven population bands and aren't easy to distinguish.

For instance white Irish is broken down into 0-0.5%, 0.5-0.8%, 0.8-1.0% and 1%-100%

Those bands make no sense to me. Does anyone else understand them?

I LOVE Sheffielders..I never thought this thread would degenerate into an argument about the design features of the map, rather than the information it was highlighting! :hihi:

my fault, when I initially looked at it, I thought it was all the same colour. I would definitely go for distinct colours!

I am still undecided whether it is red or brown! I will go with rusty!:D

Also when you run the cursor over the area it should say where you are looking at without having to click on it-rubbish!

In answer to the actual topic. I just don't think its very interesting, basically we have an evenly distributed mix over the entire country. Exceptions in london as expected as thats the capital and the far north of england which could just be because its furthest from the capital.

I reckon without being able to overlay things onto the map, political party, wealth etc it seems a bit pointless

back to debating the colours of the map:D

Population Estimates by Ethnic Group 2002-2009

18 May 2011

New population estimates by ethnic group for England and Wales indicate that the majority White British group has stayed constant in size between 2001 and 2009 while the population belonging to other groups has risen by around 2.5 million to 9.1 million over the period- about one in six of the population

source, ONS.

Sheffield has a population of 547,000.

86% describe themselves as white.

Asians account for 7%

Black British 2.5%

Mixed 2%

Chinese 1.3%

Where did you get these figures from BF, these appear to be the 2001 figures.

The breakdown is now about 83% White British and 17% BME.

my fault, when I initially looked at it, I thought it was all the same colour. I would definitely go for distinct colours!

I am still undecided whether it is red or brown! I will go with rusty!:D

Also when you run the cursor over the area it should say where you are looking at without having to click on it-rubbish!

That works, and is a good idea until you meet someone whose colourblind. If the map used inappropriate colours it's of no use to them - with a gradation scheme you can still make comparisons even if you are totally colourblind and only see in black and white.

You also can print it on a black and white print system and still have it retain some use as well.

That works, and is a good idea until you meet someone whose colourblind. If the map used inappropriate colours it's of no use to them - with a gradation scheme you can still make comparisons even if you are totally colourblind and only see in black and white.

You also can print it on a black and white print system and still have it retain some use as well.

then the graduation should be better nearly white and nearly black!

Archived