Ethnic Breakdown of the UK-Mapped

Like the immigrant hotbed of Parson Cross? How many stabbings there this year? You seem to be overlooking the causes of crime and the reasons why poor, poorly educated whites are over represented in the crime demographic as much as poor, poorly educated blacks are-there are common denomintators.

That's why I mentioned the Manor, it's an area with relatively few immigrants but people who are in a position to, vote with their feet and move away as soon as they can..it isn't immigrants they're running away from.

Another couple of questions if you don't mind......

Why is it that these areas stay quite white, when other areas have changed?

What were the areas now known as having a high immigrant population, for example Darnall, like before they had the influx? Were they poor, and what was it that made the immigrants concentrate themselves there?

I moved to sheffield last year to attend uni, a major concern was that i wouldn't 'fit in' im mixed-race and thought it would be harder to make friends as i wouldnt be seen as 'white' and perhaps only a 'foreign student' which im not. The attitude of some people on these forums is horrible, sometimes people forget about mixed race people who dont lump into 'white' or 'foreign'.

Most people at university are a lot more mature than what you may read online. I see a lot of BS online, but when you meet the individuals face to face in real life, they will shush. Yes, it does beg to differ whether you can trust them or not. Though for the sake of social civilities, does it matter greatly ? Over time, you may see that you are not friends with these people, so it does not truly matter one bit really.

I remember bringing a French friend here this year and she was surprised to see that she got a lot of looks and stares when she spoke French! :hihi: As much as I like Sheffield, as I was bred here, I do and is surprised at the odd look of "who the heck are you" kind of attitude sometimes. :suspect: She did say that she lives the people here, as they are so much more friendly than Cambridge. Which is true. As Cambridge is really a commuter's town. I think she is also from similar kind of community villagey kind of settings from France, so I can definitely understand and emphasize with her thoughts of Sheffield.

What were the areas now known as having a high immigrant population, for example Darnall, like before they had the influx? Were they poor, and what was it that made the immigrants concentrate themselves there?

There are obvious answers azazel, but I suspect they'd be too simplistic, maybe Darnall reminds the incumbent Bangladeshis of the Ganges Delta :hihi:

Following on from another thread where the question of Britain's future secularity was being debated, the Office for National Statistics have produced an interactive map, showing the ethnic mix of the large conurbations.

Whilst a few areas have large numbers of non white faces, the overwhelming majority of Britain describes itself as 'white, British'.

Sheffield has a population of 547,000.

86% describe themselves as white.

Asians account for 7%

Black British 2.5%

Mixed 2%

Chinese 1.3%

The map can be clicked on to see the ethnic mix in other areas.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2011/may/19/ethnic-breakdown-england-wales?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Cheers, am now thinking of moving to Barnsley :D

Miss me ? :D

Once, during a lunch break at work, there was a newspaper on the table with some story about the EDL in it, and it sparked a conversation about immigration and race etc, and a Pakistani coleague (who is training to be a doctor) said that you (white British of European decent) were here first, so to all intents and purposes this is your country.

Once, during a lunch break at work, there was a newspaper on the table with some story about the EDL in it, and it sparked a conversation about immigration and race etc, and a Pakistani coleague (who is training to be a doctor) said that you (white British of European decent) were here first, so to all intents and purposes this is your country.

Nick Griffin has often said a similar thing, but I don't believe he speaks for white, British people any more than your Pakistani colleague speaks for immigrants.

Hahahaha maybe BF, maybe :)

The obvious answer is that immigrants purposefully pool themselves together, creating a community of their own.....but there seems to have been a lot of mocking on this forum of suggestion that immigrants to the UK do that.

Is it a good thing if this is the case? I personally don't think so but am open to persuasion!

Hahahaha maybe BF, maybe :)

The obvious answer is that immigrants purposefully pool themselves together, creating a community of their own.....but there seems to have been a lot of mocking on this forum of suggestion that immigrants to the UK do that.

Is it a good thing if this is the case? I personally don't think so but am open to persuasion!

People when they first arrive at a country may want to find people that they connect with or to live together with in a community. Humans are humans. As one expand the family or make more money, or the children decide to move on and venture onto something else, then the integration happens.

Why the negativity, the aggro, and the angst, or the blame, when all you need to look at is that Sheffield itself have maintain a particular sense of social network than any other cities. That speaks volume of human nature.

You do not make friends by saying things like "hey, you took my job", or "you took my market share". Exactly how does one have to be responsible for the whole of the country's social ills ??

People may have grown thicker faces, does not mean that it is still actually quite darn rude to get such criticisms thrown at you.

Archived