Juice in school drinks bottle - Whats your view?

Yes becj28 its a stupid ruling and what's so wrong with having flavoured water?

Children shouldn't be told off and made to feel bad for something as trivial as this especially as they have no control over what they are given by their parents. If the teacher had any compassion and common sense then they should have excused the mistake and given the child a note to give to their parent explaining the situation.

Things must have changed, we were never allowed drinks during lessons and as fare as I am aware neither were our sons, I don’t thing anyone is going to dehydrate during double maths ……….. maybe fall asleep put not die of thirst.

By the way I agree with you. However it is expected of us as parents now and id be in the dog house again if i did not send one ;)

Yes becj28 its a stupid ruling and what's so wrong with having flavoured water?

Children shouldn't be told off and made to feel bad for something as trivial as this especially as they have no control over what they are given by their parents. If the teacher had any compassion and common sense then they should have excused the mistake and given the child a note to give to their parent explaining the situation.

That is my sentiment exactly :)

Drink bottles are encouraged. And I am going to give her flavoured water. I feel that parents are being treat like idiots and told what they can and cat do with their own children. She is a healthy and an happy child however a women who has met her twice before can start to over rule me without explanation over an insignificant matter which is nothing to do with my daughters education. If she had explained her reason to me then I would understand however with no prior warning she just confiscated the drink and passed the message on via my 6 year old daughter. I have sent water today as I do not want to make this into an issue for my daughter however i feel the teacher was out of order. Why not send a letter home giving reason for this or tell me in person. My child is not the only one in the class committing this sin lol

Look at it from another point of view for a moment. What do you think the teacher's thinking about this encounter?

A parent she doesn't know sends a child to school with a drink that is prohibited in the rules and may have been so for a long time before your daughter arrived.

There's nothing to challenge, it's the way it is. Your daughter's there to receive an education within the parameters that the school sets.

As sumayyah pointed out there may be very good reasons for the water only rule, and as Malky said no child is going to die or become incapacitated during a 2 hour period without having a drink, I think it's more surprising that they are allowed to drink during lessons at all.

I think it's more surprising that they are allowed to drink during lessons at all.

I must admit that that bit surprised me as well.

The point then should be that if it is allowed then why does it matter what the drink is? What is the logic behind having a water only rule?

The point then should be that if it is allowed then why does it matter what the drink is? What is the logic behind having a water only rule?

I think sumayyah provided the best answer, if the children were allowed to express a preference it would become a competition of who could have the most expensive, garishly coloured isotonic beverage..kids could get through a lot of those during the course of a school day and they're not cheap either.

There's also the possibility of accidents and I know from my own experience with children that cleaning up a sticky mess created by a sugar laden drink is not easy, especially off a carpeted floor.

Frankly I don't believe it's a teachers responsibility to police the contents of a drinks bottle and decide one flavoured drink is better than another, so a blanket ban on them during lesson time is perfectly fine from my point of view.

My daughter is in year 2 at school. Yesterday she as usual took a drink bottle of orange cordial - sugar free in the classroom as she has done in previous years. The teacher saw this through the clear bottle and told my daughter off telling her she was only allowed water then made her put her drink bottle in her lunch box in the corridor preventing her having it. Am I over reacting in thinking that this is crazy. :loopy:

If you think that's daft, at my kids primary, the dinner ladies will prevent kids having anything like a little chocolate 'Fredo' bar because it's all chocolate, but are totally fine with something like a Kit Kat, Breakaway or Taxi bar. Obviously a bit of wafer or biscuit in the middle makes a world of difference :loopy:

This is my point. I recognise everyone's points and can i highlight that i was not aware of a school rule that said no juice. By the way guys she had water today and was OK with it. This is not the issue. Like fake says where is the logic? Whats the difference never have I seen competition for the meanest colour or the drink with the most e numbers i just feel its a crazy fad on the teachers part to be honest. Other kids without see through bottles get away with this as she inspects the colour of the bottle (there lies an loop hole if i wanted) but I feel this is unfair and why should i purchase a bottle that deceives the teacher I dont want to teach my child these values. Hence why she had water today and not flavoured water. An explanation from her of the logic from one adult to another was all i wanted.

Archived