Juice in school drinks bottle - Whats your view?

As someone else has said - where do you draw the line with drinks if the "water only" rule is abolished?

I remember a children's party that we went to a while ago where the drinks on offer were water, blackcurrant and orange. One child asked for coke - this was OK'd by the parent of the child whose party it was. About half the kids had cola instead of the other options. The change in the behaviour of those children was unbelievable.

G

Can I ask why you think their behaviour may have changed by drinking cola?

It may have been that most of the ones that had the cola tried to start a food fight while the ones that had juice or water simply looked on. Could have been coincidence though.

I've no problem with the school educating children about a healthy diet and healthy eating, however there is a difference between encouraging healthy eating and enforcing it. Parents should have the final say over what they choose to give their children, nobody else.

I reckon its actually because teachers shouldn't spend time cleaning up sticky drinks or dealing with parents whose offsprings designer shoes have been covered in orange. Water is clean with no sugar to hype the kids up but it allows for sore throats etc. I don't know why this is an issue to anyone?

Can I ask why you think their behaviour may have changed by drinking cola?

sugar and caffeine can have a massive effect on behaviour, actually I don't understand why people ever give coke to their children? Its just bad for you on every level. It's not going to hurt if they have a small amount rarely but why bother convincing them its their best treat?

As a childminder i only ever offer milk or water for drinks .

Good on ya. I put my weight fully behind those who say 'water only'.

Anything else is unneccesary, harder to clean if it's spilt, and as others have pointed out has the potential to make the kids competitive ('Johnny has coke, I want it') and or hyper.

Why would she have a drink with her in class??? Seems a bit mad - people don't sit and drink juice at work, and when I was in school we would never have dreamed of drinking in class... It's just not done, so stop giving her a drink for class, just one for lunch...

Its something that schools ask parents to provide a bottle of drinking water for their child whilst in lesson ! Its been going on for a good few years now, to do with keeping the child hydrated keeps them alert in lessons instead of falling asleep etc :) They are usually allowed other drinks at breaks/lunch time.

I've no problem with the school educating children about a healthy diet and healthy eating, however there is a difference between encouraging healthy eating and enforcing it. Parents should have the final say over what they choose to give their children, nobody else.

so if i decide to feed my daughter nothing but high fat, high sugar foods putting my daughter at a great risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease etc then they should just stand back and allow it?

no they have a duty of care to the children so as well as encouraging healthy eating they can try and be sure that the child has a healthy diet at least while they are under the care of the school

and while the school does have rules in place if thier is a genuine medical reason for the child to have something different to thier peers they can and will accomodate it, my child has a medically prescribed milkshake that they allow her to have, other children at my daughters school are allowed high fat foods at break for low weight issues

Archived