Scam cold calling about a 'problem with our computer'

I've been called 3 times in the last week by an Indian call centre claiming that my PC is sending them error logs and that they can help me sort it out. Obviously I laugh in their face as this is untrue but I thought I would let BT know. They're already aware (have lots of complaints on a daily basis) and working with Ofcom to try to put a stop to it. The guy today actually tried to tell me that they have my windows validation key. I asked him to read it to me and he put the phone down.

I researched this on the web and it appears that they encourage people to give them remote access, they upload some nasties on your system, then charge you hundreds of pounds to 'fix it'.

Please don't fall for this, according to BT they're targetting our area code at the moment. The have used the company name Gloabal PC and Megabyte Systems today. From my web research they sometimes say they're from Microsoft.

Yeah, get these a few times. I just wind them up - tell them that the computer takes ages to boot up and keep going back to the phone every few minutes saying, "it's still booting up". Had one on a week or so back, allowed her to advise me of how my PC was giving off error messages and what not - when she asked me to press the 'start' menu button, I asked where that was on a DOS system as that was what I was using - totally confused her. The thing being is that they obviously are making some money out of some people, just not me.

G

same here,they often say they are from Virgin (we're not with them anymore) but they say the same thing,

First time .. Id used the virgin help forum,they said they were answering my complaint so I let them onto the lappy via the "teamviewer" website,

something was happening with the lappy and the bloke said all my problems were now fixed .. but then he offered me free security but Id have to pay £90 for 9 years of updates,he used very high pressure sales,but got nowhere,he was still connected so I pulled the Ethernet out, and said goodbye,

I asked Virgin if he was genuine .. they said no :rolleyes:

JJ..

I don't even speak on my landline anymore - unless I know I just asked a member of my family/someone that just called my mobile, to call me on it because I'm at home.

Random callers just get silence or tapping. They hang up pretty fast. I've tried asking them politely to take me off their calling list but it doesn't work. That usually means another 6 calls that evening at least. The silent method guarantees a couple of weeks peace at least.

Best tactic i've found is to ask them random questions or give very confusing answers.

I used to wind them up and insult them, but that seemed to get me put on a list by some who were aggrieved.

But I had a few of these a couple of weeks ago, tried the silent treatment because I was working, but they called back numerous times on each day.

Archived