Scam cold calling about a 'problem with our computer'

I think that we should have a competition to see how long we can keep them on the phone for. If enough people joined in then it would be unprofitable for these people to phone up and would save the less savvy folks from getting landed with a bill for a few hundred pounds for 'services' for their computer.

I think that my record is twenty minutes so far but I didn't time the call.

G

Ive had them a few times, not for a while now though, cos last time they said they were from Microsoft and there werre probs with my computer, i just said, "hows that work?, I havent got a computer", they hung up.

There are a number of threads about these scam pc fault calls on here.

If you have the time you can have a good bit of fun on theeir account, BUT DO NOT ON ANY ACCOUNT DOWNLOAD ANY OF THEIR SOFTWARE OR ALLOW THEM ACCESS TO YOUR PC.

I have had them talking for over 30 mins on a number of times. They do seem to get a little upset after half an hour (and I am a loss as to why) when I tell them I am a Microsoft Certified Engineer and they do not know what they are talking about.

Keep safe on the internet. Microsoft etc do not ring you up. If unsure, hang up.

If I get a call on my landline by somebody talking in an unintelligible Indian accent trying to scam money out of me, I just say.

"I'm sorry, BT. Since you outsourced your call centres I can't make out what you're on about. I've switched to Orange."

similar call, let him finish his speech which he was obviously reading and when he asked me if I was aware of the situation I told him I was aware that he was talking crap and hung up, ten minutes later got a junk call from Michael calling from corporate rewards in las Vegas, that's as far as it got before I hung up, don't know if coincidence but both calls were within an hour of me looking at car insurance quotes on confused.com

Archived