Scam cold calling about a 'problem with our computer'

If you have 'Caller ID' you may be able to block incoming calls where the number is withheld, but that will block ALL calls originating from outside the UK.

I get scam calls on my landline and mobile originating I think from calls to BT offshore. Onland line caller ID shows something like " international call number withheld". Can I block these calls? If so how?

Had a call from "Microsoft Windows" (Indian woman by the sound of it) this morning before I left for work, telling me my computer had reported to them that it had got a virus. Recognising immediately what was happening, I strung the scumbag along for 5 minutes or so before ripping into her extremely rudely at high volume. Today was a good day :)

I had one today, who made me laugh. I was in a good mood when he called, so instead of just hanging up I let him talk. I was genuinely finding him very hard to understand as it was a really bad line and he kept breaking up. He was very patient and kept re-starting the conversation. After 4 or 5 attempts, I finally let him tell me that he was from Microsoft and there was a problem with my computer. I told him I didn't have a computer. This set him back a bit, and then he said "Do you have a laptop because a laptop and a computer are the same thing." I told him I knew that but I didn't have either a computer or a laptop. He then just said sorry and hung up. I know this won't be the last time I hear from them, as I said the same thing to the last one who phoned.

I get these calls most days.. always from Kevin or James or similar although they are difficult to understand.

I have tried telling them I know it's a scam and hanging up- they do call back though.. I had one guy call back 10 times after I'd told him to <removed> off.

I did have a play with one though the other week when I genuinely had a laptop problem & it was in PC world being fixed... he seemed elated when I said 'yes I know I have a problem with the laptop' .. he started yabbering on... I then started asking him how they were getting on & whether the eta on completion of repairs was earlier than anticpated... he got very confused... eventually hung up!! :hihi:

Archived