Scam cold calling about a 'problem with our computer'

Hello,

I had the same phone call from an Indian male as well a few months ago, he seemed confused when I said "is my computer broken well I am on it at the moment" I looked up a forum and also found out it was a scam I posted it on my facebook page as my status to let others know we can`t let these criminals get away with conning innocent people. x x :love::thumbsup:

Just had one and Im still laughing at it.

The Eastern sounding lady (not) called and my wife handed me the phone after she wouldnt go. Anyway, she started much the same as other stories on here. I kept saying things like "Ok, thats interestng" and such like. She asked me to switch on my computer, I said which one because this is a computer shop.

She started raving and said I should know what she was talking about and I am a fool for not knowing. I asked her the IP address which was causing the trouble and she said I should know, and called me a "B**ldy liar and idiot" for not giving it her. She said my computer doesnt have an ip address and then asked for the IP address of my operating system. (Big haha) She was Microsoft certified and she knows I am an idiot who just sells what I dont know about. After a few round of questions and answers, and a lot of verbal abuse from her, she finally hung up on me. Good job I wasn't in a bad mood. I had been called an idiot, liar and fool about 10 times and had the bl**dy word joined to it everytime. I dont think she even knew she was swearing.

Its a pity I hadnt recorded the whole thing though, would have been great on YouTube.

No I would not tell them they give you no privacy by harrasing you, do they?? It sounds like you all have been called by the same or similar organisations. I just let them blabber on and put the phone down whilst they are still on the line and just go off and do what I have to do. No they can`t sue you when they are trying to scam you like you said and it is harrassment, I like the post about your grandad sometimes I pretend to be foreign and not to understand or say I am sorry but I can`t hear you it winds them off or I say they are not here I am house sitting bloody organisations. x x :love::thumbsup:

I don't think TPS actually stop any calls.

Well that's kinda right, the TPS themselves don't actually stop any calls but what they do is create a database of everybody who has 'opted out' by registering with them. It is mandatory for any company that makes cold calls to screen against this database, and not call any individual that has opted out. They can be hit with large fines if they do.

The downside to the TPS list is it costs businesses an awful lot of money to purchase the right to use, which is a bit of a disincentive.. so some companies think they'll risk it.

Companies that are operating within the UK but have call centres outside the UK still have an obligation to screen against the list. However it is correct that non UK based companies are not restricted by such practice.

Been a couple of years now, but last time I was involved with using TPS it had in excess of 14 million numbers on it. It will have inevitably grown since.

Unlike the TPS, the MPS while operated by the same body (Direct Marketing Association) it doesn't have the authority of law behind it, but it is part of the DMA's Code of Conduct; therefore companies can if they so choose completely ignore it. Reputable ones will abide, more mercenary companies most likely won't.

Out of curiousity, what is the legal stance on recording a telephone call? Do you have to tell them? Or is that only if you want to rely on it (not just to stick it on YouTube)?.

It's only if you wish to relay the call to a 3rd party. You can safely record your own calls for your own benefit and own use without informing the person with whom you are talking.

Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?

No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording.

Archived