Scam cold calling about a 'problem with our computer'

• 4 weeks later...

Just had one of those phone calls from an indian call centre telling me that there was 'unwanted programs on my computer' which are apprently worse than a virus.

Im glad i had some free time because that turned out to be a fun call :D

eventually he put the phone down after calling me a fool

Yes my aunt had this on Saturday night whilst I was at her house. Funny thing is that she's not even connected to the internet. She made a note of his name and contact number and threatened to report him. Not sure if she has done yet though.

The other week my mobile rang whilst I was driving. I ignored it until I could find somewhere safe to pull over .... like a good boy.:)

It had gone to Voicemail by the time it was safe to take the call.

The call originated from a number beginning 09********

"Hello (my first name) this is Clare calling from mumble, mumble, mumble. Could you call me back on 07******* please? Byeee!"

I listened to that voicemail 14 times but could not decypher the part where she mumbled. I tried both ears, and with the speaker set at 'on'. The rest of the message was clearly spoken and in good English.

My wife couldn't decypher it having listened to it several times but my son says he definitely made out the word "outlook".

My wife rang the 07********** but it went straight to voicemail.

Wonder if this was some similar scam?

• 1 month later...

Had the Microsoft scam phone call again earlier this evening. "Hello, my name is John Wright", in the deepest indian accent I've ever heard. "Oh goody" I find myself thinking, "time for some fun". I'm a vindictive old so and so that way...

So anyhoo, "John" waffles on about him being a Microsoft registered engineer and my computer having problems, with me playing along with the occasional "Yes" and "Oh no!"to encourage him.

John then got to the point in the scam script where he had to ask me if I was sat at my computer now. "You're really taking this scam to a far more complicated level aren't you John?" I asked in a neutral tone. "I am not understanding you sir" he says, letting his fluent English slip a little. So I repeat and he insists he's a licensed Microsoft engineer and my PC has a big problem. I repeat my question. "This call is being recorded sir, your PC has a problem, etc., etc." So I'm supposed to be scared by the call being recorded, be a good consumer and obey him, am I?

So I just repeat my question. John says, "What the hell are you talking about, I am a Microsoft registered engineer, blah, blah..." I repeat my question, adding that I think Microsoft will take away his license as he's just been rude to me. He starts the speil again and then hangs up mid-word.

Such a shame, I was enjoying myself immensely and really building a rapporte with John in the 4 or 5 minutes I managed to keep him racking up his phonebill. How thick do these Indian clowns think we British (shades of "It ain't arf ot mum"?) are?

In case anyone is wondering, yes, I am indeed a complete and utter c... :twisted::twisted:

Archived