Scam cold calling about a 'problem with our computer'

We have received telephone calls on successive days,from 2 different phone numbers.

Each call said that we had a computer problem and the computer would crash etc etc unless we fixed it,presumably with their help.

Although their telephone number was displayed,rather than withheld,when trying a call back,the message was that these numbers did not exist.

One was 02532362020,and the other was similar to a Sheffield no ,but after 0114,there were only 5 digits.

They both got short shrift,but just wondered what they are up to.

Is it to charge for an un needed service,or to get into your system?

They probably claimed to be from Microsoft too? They talk you through viewing your event log and tell you that all the entries are viruses, then they ask you to go to a website and put in your details so they can take control of your machine. Often you need to enter your credit card details so they can get the info that way, alternatively they install software onto your computer to give them access and they can have a good snoop for your details that way.

its a scam.someone i know fell for it,they were told they had viruses on their system and the callers could get rid of them for a small fee, it cost them £100+,this person was a vunerable adult who was baffled by their technical jargon and gave them bank details,they had to have their credit cards and accounts changed .please pass this on so no one else gets conned

i work in i.t for a large anti-virus company...this is a joke round our office..

One of my work collegues keeps getting them and just keeps asking questions and eventually they hang up...

Another work collegues grandad got a call the grandad explained he didnt have a computer in the end told him to 'f#ck off' and hung up

the caller called him back and said 'did you just tell me to 'f#ck off?'' the grandad replied yes....the calller said''well you f#ck off'' and hung up

we howled when we heard this

Archived