Beware meanlingless Degrees

As an arts grad, i firmly believe that its what you do after your degree that counts. Its true that there are no 'set jobs', (such as an accountancy grad would become an accountant), but its about getting out there and finding or creating your own opportunities.

some examples of people i was at uni with, (and from a particularly unremarkable uni at that):

one guy who did fine art set up his own graphics agency, and now is one of the top agencies in the uk, working for the bbc, channel4, ministry of sound, cadburys, & various 'youthy' magazines.

a girl who did applied arts (thats furniture design, etc) is now senior visual display manager at a major top end high street jeweller and watch makers.

another fine artist now works as a senior web developer at a business and education development center.

my own design job has had me travelling across europe and hong kong.

of course its true that many of the people i knew at uni now just have standard office jobs that have no relation that their degree, which is also fine - peoples passions and interests change, as well as personal situations.

As an arts grad, i firmly believe that its what you do after your degree that counts. Its true that there are no 'set jobs', (such as an accountancy grad would become an accountant), but its about getting out there and finding or creating your own opportunities.

some examples of people i was at uni with, (and from a particularly unremarkable uni at that) [...]

Another arts and humanities type here - I know people from my undergraduate degree course who are working in marketing, law, PR, journalism, civil service, teaching...Etc.

McDonalds is not such a bad place to work as you so rightly point out!:)

I am pleased that your missus made it to supervisor there.:):cool:

You see, I can understand where you're coming from, as you obviously judge a supervisors job at a fast food establishment as success. Keep your head down and you'll get there, eventually.

This thread reminds me of my own situation after i left university. The first 3 job interviews i had in my particular field all had salaries knocking around 8K.

I was working at Maccy D's at the time, had made it to the dizzy heights of 2nd assistant manager and was working around 50 hours a week for 15K a year

So, despite the interviews AND being offered all 3 jobs, i wasn't in a position to accept any of them! I wasn't about to take a 50% pay cut for graduate jobs, which were in fact nothing more than fixing old CRT monitors. The work at McD was better, plus my position of power(!) got me loads of love action :-)

A while later took a production management role, in an area not related to my degree.

Hi Mr Ming

There you go, a fine example of a useless degree. Useless in the sense, ie one does not take a degree in order to take a pay cut = FACT

really? i know someone who was a well paid accountant, but hated it and retrained as a teacher. im not aware of their respective pay grades, but id guess being a teacher is less paid than an accountant?

surely its about doing what you love doing, rather than chasing the £?

hahahaha, you stole that from somewhere too. You don't have a degree either, I take it? :hihi:

No I do not. My qualification is of a higher standard that the degrees of today however as the standards have been significantly reduced in order to allow the lesser academic to be able to get a degree.:D

Hi Mr Ming

There you go, a fine example of a useless degree. Useless in the sense, ie one does not take a degree in order to take a pay cut = FACT

True enough in the short term, but subsequent jobs have required one.

Although, nobody ever bothered verifying that I had one, so I may have well said I had a doctorate.

True enough in the short term, but subsequent jobs have required one.

Although, nobody ever bothered verifying that I had one, so I may have well said I had a doctorate.

A factual point indeed.

Many London boroughs don't look at an certificates unless they are social workers/accountants.

Archived