Beware meanlingless Degrees

A degree on your CV is always going to be better than a CV without a degree, many agencies will not take you unless you have a degree.

However in my opinion, some of the kids with degress - what can you say? my pet cat is more employable than some of these graduates, I'm not saying all of the kids, but most of them would be about as much use as a packet of laxatives in a doctors surgery, where all the paitients are suffering from severe diorhea.

Standards are not enforced, the kids chew chewing gum, have hats on the wrong way round and even cross the road when the red man is displaying.

A degree is always better as it probably means you are less likely to end up in the minimum wage hellhole, the hellhole of working your butt off, being hit proportionally worse with taxes, and not having enough net wages left to pay the rent on a home.

Yes, standards have slipped, but a degree is still worth doing

A guy knocked on my office door today and walked in. He asked to speak to one of our managers who was in a meeting. He looked a little fidgety and so I asked him if I could help.

He said that he had come to drop some bits and pieces off but had to deliver it personally. I told him to sit down and wait if he wished as it was my lunch break. He did so.

We got chatting and it appears that he was working as a van driver. He got the job because he knew the owner of the company.

Further conversation revealed that he had worked in the public sector for a while in a clerk type job and been made redundant. He had also worked selling furniture, behind a bar and now was a van driver come labourer (because he had a contact).

He was pushing 30 years old and had a degreee in "Events organisation and management".....who makes them up?

He stated that he had never had a job in his subject area and never expected to get one.

Beware meaningless degrees. The 4 years or so of fun will come to an end and you will be in debt!:(

I take it you didn't achieve your degree then. :hihi:

Many degrees are not worth the paper they are written on. In no way does a degree carry the same weight it did, lets say 25/30 years ago, FACT

Then like the op stated, some degress are just pure BS.

A degree in politics, lol, where will that get you. Ok, you may say ythe person showed skills etc to gain - but just as many people if not more work up the ladder in a company without a degree - FACT

I beleive you only really need a degree if if you is becoming a doctor, lawyers, teachers, etc etc, then pozzibly yes, but most cases, no

Writing 'FACT' after an opinion doesn't add any additional weight or gravitas to that opinion, FACT.

Academic qualifications can be taken as proof of ability rather than proof of specific knowledge, my qualifications are in mechanical/production engineering, my career path has strayed far from that but without the qualifications i have to prove my ability to learn i wouldnt have got where i am now.

Also i believe Sheffields biggest employer (STH) will not allow progression above around £22k without a degree (ie a degree is required for AFC Band5 posts IIRC)

Despite what the media says and what the sheep believe there is no such thing as a meaningless degree. From contacts I have at both Universities I am informed that the creation of degrees, such as Event Management or Surfing Technology, are merely in response to the relevant industry's needs. If the need were not there then there would be no degree.

What degree would a art teacher have? Or those who work in galleries, etc? Your joke is only limited by the number of people who have art degrees and who are well paid in their professions... Although most grads will most likely have a bargain basement job when they first graduate! Not many go straight into their chosen work...

Most science and engineering graduates do. But that's the advantage of a degree with an obvious career after it!

Despite what the media says and what the sheep believe there is no such thing as a meaningless degree. From contacts I have at both Universities I am informed that the creation of degrees, such as Event Management or Surfing Technology, are merely in response to the relevant industry's needs. If the need were not there then there would be no degree.

Nothing to do with labours push to get 50% of school leavers into university despite it not being the natural choice for them, or the fact that a student on a course, any course, means income for the university and they all have to be run like businesses now!

And you really believe that do you?

Academic qualifications can be taken as proof of ability rather than proof of specific knowledge, my qualifications are in mechanical/production engineering, my career path has strayed far from that but without the qualifications i have to prove my ability to learn i wouldnt have got where i am now.

Exactly, a degree shows that you are capable of committing yourself and have the ability to work to a certain level.

Archived