Cannon hall pub firvale

80swasfun

They certainley were Barbara, the best, this is Linda Jessop, hope you & pete are both well, will give you a ring, sorry not been in touch for a while xx

Hi Lin, yes we are very well thankyou, do you remember all the fundraising the pub did for charity ?

All the sponsered jog's & three leg races round the other pubs in the area & the netball match in the car park !! we raised quite a bit of money for various charities.

Also when we had the concert room altered into a lounge , all the elderly ladies who sat together & Pete chrisened it " Virgins Corner " !!

We had a lorra lorra laughs, to quote Cilla !!! :D

Barbara

Hi Lin, yes we are very well thankyou, do you remember all the fundraising the pub did for charity ?

All the sponsered jog's & three leg races round the other pubs in the area & the netball match in the car park !! we raised quite a bit of money for various charities.

Also when we had the concert room altered into a lounge , all the elderly ladies who sat together & Pete chrisened it " Virgins Corner " !!

We had a lorra lorra laughs, to quote Cilla !!! :D

Barbara

Yes Barbara I remember everything, we had some great times, The Cannon was my second home, glad you 2 are well,,,,we were talking about the ladies last week, Pete Dibbles grandma was one of them, we see Pete & Diane often, be in touch soon xxxxx

• 1 year later...

My parents, Derrick and Audrey Holmes, used to run the pub in the early sixties. I was (nearly) born there in October 1963 and we moved away not long afterwards. He used to tell me the story of how he had the Beatles booked to play there but they got too big and cancelled...

We took over the pub from Jeff & Margaret Harrison in '73ish , I don't know if they took over from your parents but Jeff had been there for quite a few years , perhaps someone else may know.

I can remember the Harrisons, i was friends with their son Martin(RIP). We once camped out in the grounds of the cannon and Martin was telling tales of how it was haunted. Didnt get much sleep that night.

There was a lot of storys about the ghost at the Cannon Hall, she was a woman called "Charlotte " was one of them , who had died from a broken heart!

We never saw anything but sometimes things went missing , and then they turned up in a place you knew you had looked also a feeling of someone being in the room with you , specially down the cellar . The Cellar Sevice people were full of storys about this !!

There was a lot of storys about the ghost at the Cannon Hall, she was a woman called "Charlotte " was one of them , who had died from a broken heart!

We never saw anything but sometimes things went missing , and then they turned up in a place you knew you had looked also a feeling of someone being in the room with you , specially down the cellar . The Cellar Sevice people were full of storys about this !!

Im sure the Cannon had lots of stories. It was a learning curve in my life when you and Pete ran it, first pub we went in and found a way of life thats sadly disappeared now. A community.

We lived on Earl Marshal Road and the Cannon Hall was our local for 3 or 4 years from 1968-72. Me and my brother would take a short cut through some maisonettes to catch last orders. The disco was in full swing then, live bands, Frank White, Whitbread Tankard, strobe lights, very noisy. If you wanted to talk you had to go in the other bar. I had my last pint with my dad in that bar before I left England 40 years ago so it's still a hallowed place for me even though it doesn't exist anymore.

• 3 months later...