Can i ride a 50cc moped on my car licence

hi im 37 and passed my driving test in 1991 im told i can ride a 50cc moped on my car licence , ive got loads of pictures of things i can drive on my paper licence but theres no picture of a moped , i did a cbt in 2008 for my old 100cc moped but now im wanting a 50cc so i believe i dont need to take it again.is there a number i can ring to check my licence for riding a 50? thanks

hi im 37 and passed my driving test in 1991 im told i can ride a 50cc moped on my car licence

you can

If you have a car licence...

If you obtained your full car licence before 1 February 2001 you are automatically entitled to ride a moped without L-plates (D-plates in Wales).

If you obtained a full car licence after 1 February 2001 you must first complete a CBT course and obtain a DL 196 certificate to validate your entitlement.

source: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_10016249

• 11 months later...

I was going to start a thread on this but I may as well resurect this one instead.

So just to clarify, does the following still apply?:

For a category P machine (up to 50cc legally defined as a moped) if you passed your car test before Feb 2001, the DVLA will also have given you a full P entitlement. This means it's just like having passed a test on a moped, you can dispense with L plates, CBTs and may carry passengers (but still not use motorways where there is a 50cc lower limit).

Archived