Are People Just Born Bad?

I think there's a lot to be said for your upbringing, or maybe not. What made Hitler bad? Was he born that way or did he generate his hate for various groups through the environment he grew up in?

Regardless of his upbringing, we are all aware of right from wrong at an early age. We all have the choice to do good or bad. It is most unfortunate that that those who attain the great heights of power abuse this role. Who was it that said 'Power corrupts, absolutely?'

the kid was born evil.

Could you elaborate a little further...your statement means absolutely nothing unless you're a preacher at the pulpit.

It's plain and simple bad parenting.

Could be, but certainly not "plain and simple" or exhaustive..

If you say so.

...which is as helpful as "the kid was born evil"

I don't think it's a case of "bad parenting" as such, although it could be a factor. You can't define parents as being bad just because they are unable to see the complexities within the child that may lead to psychotic behaviour later in life. I also don't believe in "born evil". You are certainly born with a genetic makeup which is influenced by action or non action.

What is a little unnerving is that many posters seem to show signs of empathy deficiency..a trait commonly associated with the psychopath or as the documentary suggested serial killers. The theory that the documentary suggests is not new, I read about the theory a good 15yrs ago.

Regardless of his upbringing, we are all aware of right from wrong at an early age. We all have the choice to do good or bad. It is most unfortunate that that those who attain the great heights of power abuse this role. Who was it that said 'Power corrupts, absolutely?'

I agree to the point that only if you understand the concept of good and bad. If your genetic makeup has a propensity towards bad and your manner of upbringing reinforce this idea then it's not that surprising.

You as a person maybe able to conceptualise on the merits of good and bad that is easy when you posses empathy. The psychopath doesn't relate with empathy so doesn't ask the question on good or bad because to get that far you have to consider others. The psychopath only considers others with the net result of him or herself. The only understanding of "bad" is what they are being told, not what they are feeling or experiencing.

The short version of my answer to the question 'Are people born bad?' is no, I don't believe they are.

I think people who do appalling things do so for a complex variety of reasons - including the consequences of appalling parenting, lust, head injury to name just a few.

I find it hard to accept the notion that anyone was born evil.

The short version of my answer to the question 'Are people born bad?' is no, I don't believe they are.

I think people who do appalling things do so for a complex variety of reasons - including the consequences of appalling parenting, lust, head injury to name just a few.

I find it hard to accept the notion that anyone was born evil.

Your complex lists for A) Hitler B) Stalin C) Mao

All power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Your complex lists for A) Hitler B) Stalin C) Mao

All power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely

That's probably somewhere around the mark.

People like those you mention above come to do atrocious things because they believe foolish ideas and convince others to share their views and act on them.

The notion that they were born like that is utterly simplistic and implies an absence of choice on their part.

I find it hard to accept because it seems to have no scientific qualification.

I agree - it implies an acceptance of the supernatural that's utterly unscientific.

It's a notion that's been used in the past to try and justify burning 'witches'.

That's probably somewhere around the mark.

People like those you mention above come to do atrocious things because they believe foolish ideas and convince others to share their views and act on them.

The notion that they were born like that is utterly simplistic and implies an absence of choice on their part.

The Notion that any State is ever run by a charismatic individual is utterly simplistic and implies an absence of grey matter on the part of those that believe such nonsense.

9/11 poor Shrubby was dazed sitting there before the kiddies in the reading class.

He looked like a lamped fawn.

Archived