Poor mans patent

Aaah, (copy)riiight. Much thanks, my canine friend :)

I don't think this has ever been recognised in UK law though.
It was at one time (a long while back now), but not anymore.

It is too easy (and has often been proven to be the case) to send yourself an empty, unsealed envelope...then just put 'stuff' in it and seal it when it pleases/serves :twisted:

Value of that kind of evidence at Court = 0

EDIT - It is different if you send it to a legal professional (a sort of officious registration), in that the date can then be proven. But then, in most cases it would still be worthless anyway (depends what's in the envelope, and what/why the contents are to be used for).

As for "patents" (properly speaking), you only get one if you tell the world and its neighbour what the invention is and how to work it (it's the flipside of getting a time-limited monopoly). And it has to relate to something technical (no patents for TV game show concepts). FYI, running an auction on a computer is not technical. In fact, in the UK, running most things on a computer is not patentable anyway. Just so you know the standard ;)

you came up with an idea and sent it to yourself and maybe a lawyer or similar by registered post...:)

What's to stop you sending an empty envelope to yourself to get it postmarked etc and then putting "stuff" in at a later date?

edited..ooops too late

Anyone got an old envelope with a US post date on it? I feel like spending this evening writing a spec for an internet site where people can share personal information, photos and personal messages with the revenue stream being through targetted advertising. Then I'll see if anyone has done something similar and sue 'em!

but can we expand it to incorporate new technology...
How?

Do you mean, by sending yourself an email (between two accounts) or an SMS or some other electronic message?

Anyone got an old envelope with a US post date on it?
You can register copyright in the US (one of the few and only countries that do - Library of Congress service).

I feel like spending this evening writing a spec for an internet site where people can share personal information, photos and personal messages with the revenue stream being through targetted advertising. Then I'll see if anyone has done something similar and sue 'em!
That'd be a laugh: you wouldn't have any grounds ;) (even if you'd written it before Zuckerberg made it)

Archived