Poor mans patent

I could sell the idea <snip, no need to go further>
You couldn't: it's worthless.

Since you have not protected it (with a registered right), everybody and their dog has a pretty much free run on it, the second it goes public. Why would an investor pay you as well as making their own copy, when they don't have to?

That's how it works in the real world (the bit you never see much of, if any, in Dragons' Den).

Since you have not protected it (with a registered right), everybody and their dog has a pretty much free run on it, the second it goes public. Why would an investor pay you, instead of making their own?

That's how it works in the real world (the bit you never see much of, if any, in Dragons' Den).

Thought youd gone to bed

Since you have not protected it (with a registered right), everybody and their dog has a pretty much free run on it, the second it goes public. Why would an investor pay you as well as making their own copy, when they don't have to?

So what your saying is, the bloke who invented the wheel probably nicked the idea off someone else...

So what your saying is, the bloke who invented the wheel probably nicked the idea off someone else...
Everything you see around you is an evolution, adaptation, improvement, development, etc. of something that has gone before.

The same as it always was.

It's not "nicking". It's seeing a problem with the state of the art, and solving it. The solution may or may not be protectable, by a variety of IP rights (particularly patents), depending on how obvious it is (and, of course, depending on (i) whether someone else invented it before that inventor and published it, or (ii) whether the inventor blabbed about it publicly, (iii) before the inventor filed the application: there can't ever be a valid patent (EDIT: in most countries) if there is an earlier public disclosure - period).

Going by your analogy, the bloke who invented the tubeless tyre might have "nicked" the idea off the bloke who invented the tyre (any tyre), and be coining it, but he'd still have to pay royalties to the bloke who invented the tyre before him (a patent could be granted for "the tubeless tyre", as a technical improvement of "the tyre", but any "tubeless tyre" is still "a tyre", therefore an infringement of the earlier patent for "the tyre").

Everything you see around you is an evolution, adaptation, improvement, development, etc. of something that has gone before.

The same as it always was.

It's not "nicking". It's seeing a problem with the state of the art, and solving it.

Going by your analogy, the bloke who invented the tubeless tyre might have "nicked" the idea off the bloke who invented the tyre (any tyre), and be coining it, but he'd still have to pay royalties to the bloke who invented the tyre before him (a patent could be granted for "the tubeless tyre", as a technical improvement of "the tyre", but any "tubeless tyre" is still "a tyre", therefore an infringement of the earlier patent for "the tyre").

But what if he nicked the idea of the wheel off aliens, and they didnt know, and it was 2 late for them to do anything about it. and because of a stupid (as soon as I know its mine) law they went home penniless

we could put them out of business by making a cheaper product, say just use half a brick, even make it self assembly, with instructions in Chinese....

*Dragon comes out of his den....*

Tell me more about this "Plumb line" idea you have, I'm very interested. How much do you need to invest in the production of it?

Archived