BT - Where do I stand?

I recently moved to a new property and shopped around for broadband. Upon visiting BT's site and calling them up I was advised that there was no line installed in my property and that I was have to pay around £150 to have one installed, unless I went with them in which case they would install one for free providing I take out an 18 month contract with them. I reluctantly said yes to their notoriously poor service as I didn't want to fork out £150 for a line.

A couple of days before the install I get a phone call saying there actually is a line installed at my property (I don't own a home telephone, and so couldn't check whether the socket in the bedroom was connected to anything. I've had properties before with sockets not connected) they text me saying that the line is actually fully installed and so all I have to do is install the router they have sent an away I go.

Am I within my rights to get out of this contract with BT? I certainly wouldn't have gone with their inflated prices and throttled connections if I had known I already had a line installed.

My sister rented an apartment in Park Lane last year ans was told the same lie.

Do the people that sell you the service get a percentage?

It's not a lie, as you call it.

All ISP's use an OpenReach system to check if there are any available lines at a property to takeover and use for phone/broadband. On the odd occasion further checks are required, and can bring up lines that didn't initially show up.

As I recall you can cancel your order at anytime before activation, and then a 10-14 days after it's started.

Archived