Gay blood donor ban to be lifted

A great deal of faith is on someone being honest

Is that not the case now? I doubt blood services have access to people's sexual history without them disclosing it themselves.

This is American, but I doubt our blood service works in a different way. [Link]

And because I’m committed to donating blood, I regularly lie to the Red Cross about my sexuality.

That is, I do not mark the questionnaire box that asks whether I “have AIDS or have ever had a positive HIV test, or if you have done something that puts you at risk for becoming infected with HIV,” which includes any “male who has had sexual contact with another male, even once, since 1977.”

What the percentages to do with gay vs hetro male when it comes to one night stands for instance ?

Men are men, they all get laid as often as possible, for straight men it's actually easier, go up west street on Saturday you have a choice of thousands of potential partners.

If straight people were so good at being monogamous Africa wouldn't be in the state it is now re AIDS infection.

Men are men, they all get laid as often as possible, for straight men it's actually easier, go up west street on Saturday you have a choice of thousands of potential partners.

If straight people were so good at being monogamous Africa wouldn't be in the state it is now re AIDS infection.

It is only Africa that so ridden with with AIDS.

If I knew I had to have surgery I'd make damned sure a few weeks before that I'd collect my own blood first and I know people whio have done that.

On the other hand if I was in an accident and needed blood I would have to put my trust and good faith in unknown donors telling the truth.

The second scenario isn't the best but in light of the thread subject if the ban on gay donors is to be lifted then at least they should be willing to submit to a blood test first of all. This is fair enough as it would apply to US law anyway since the ban on gays in the military has now been lifted and all potential military recruits are required to have a full blood screening done as part of their physical and therefore I wouldn't see any objection to a pre-donor blood test required for gay men as being valid in light of this.

All the blood donated is tested, that's not the issue. The problem is that in theory it can take months for antibodies to show if someone catches something undesirable, so if this happens just before donation, in theory it can slip through the net.

Perhaps you should sign a consent form stating that you do not want any blood transfusion under any circumstances, you never know you may end up with homo blood inside you.

Maybe the Jehova Witness God botherers have the "right" idea, they refuse all blood - good, bad or homo.

Regards

Angel.

I suppose if a healthy person were to have surgery and the donated blood came from someone who had AIDs and the healthy person was in turn afflicted with it as a result that person would be perfectly entitled to sue the living crap out of the hospital and the Red Cross :D

Archived