Gay blood donor ban to be lifted

That's like saying no one should be allowed to fly because they're all terrorists :hihi:

That's exactly what it is like, and yet for someone reason when we're discussing homosexuals people think it is a valid argument. As soon as you extend the same argument to heterosexuals those very same people will tell you how ridiculous it is; but they still won't see any inconsistency in their position.

No test is ever completely accurate. 99.9999%, maybe...

I would settle for that and sleep soundly if I was a recipient from a blood donor just as I would feel as safe boarding a plane with the same safety factor percentage.

I still say that a gay person should be flagged if he voluntarily chooses to reveal his sexual orientation. He may well be responsible in his sexual activity but we cant all assume that with blinkers on just for the sake of not appearing to be biased against a certain group,

This kind of often ridiculous outlook is why 70 year old grandmothers have to be X-rayed and patted down when going through airport safety checks

I still say that a gay person should be flagged if he voluntarily chooses to reveal his sexual orientation. He may well be responsible in his sexual activity but we cant all assume that with blinkers on just for the sake of not appearing to be biased against a certain group.

We don't. In fact we don't assume anything. Medical evidence now shows that with modern testing methods, blood from homosexuals who have not been active for 12 months is no more or less risky than blood from heterosexuals.

If you're trying to argue that people who tell the truth on the declaration form should be barred because they might also lie on it, but people who lie on it to begin with are okay, then we're beyond the realms of logical debate.

We don't. In fact we don't assume anything. Medical evidence now shows that with modern testing methods, blood from homosexuals who have not been active for 12 months is no more or less risky than blood from heterosexuals.If you're trying to argue that people who tell the truth on the declaration form should be barred because they might also lie on it, but people who lie on it to begin with are okay, then we're beyond the realms of logical debate.

If that's true I'm glad to hear it. There's a shortage of blood donors. If ever I need to have surgery I'll donate my own blood to myself first though knowing that it's 100 percent safe

If that's true I'm glad to hear it. There's a shortage of blood donors. If ever I need to have surgery I'll donate my own blood to myself first though knowing that it's 100 percent safe

It doesn't matter if it's not 100% safe you would only be giving yourself the disease(s) that you already have. :cool:

This decision is going to end up killing someone,those who have allowed this have blood on their hands,this should be reversed.

Given the shortage of blood supplies to the NHS at the moment, surely that criticism should be levelled at those whose predjudice would try to stop extra donations.

John X

P.S. How are you getting on with reporting me to the mods for being someone else? Had any news yet? :D

Archived