Gay blood donor ban to be lifted

Where the hell did AIDS come from? no one had AIDS in this country the 60's and 70's, when, lets face it, everyone was at it; but then all of a sudden it seems, in the mid eighties, AIDs was a big thing.

In hindsight, the first recorded cases of it are believed to have been in the very late 1950s; but it wasn't for twenty years or more that doctors knew exactly what it was.

The most plausible theory that I have heard, unless there's better ones been advanced recently, is that it's a mutated monkey virus which passed into the human population when.... well, I'd rather not say. :gag:

In which case - as he just posted - you should be arguing to exclude all people who have ever had sexual intercourse. The whole of that group has a higher percentage of people with HIV than the group that has never had sex.

Oh give over, just accept it, gay men are more of an HIV risk because of the type of sex they have; yes some heterosexual couples have anal sex too, but they must be few and far between because HIV/AIDS is less prevelant in straight people.

This is an issue where political correctness should be left at the door.

Oh give over, just accept it

Accept what?

Statement; group X of the population has a higher risk of carrying HIV than the rest of the population.

Question; should group X be barred from giving blood?

All I'm asking that the answer be the same, regardless of what "group X" happens to be.

Accept what?

Statement; group X of the population has a higher risk of carrying HIV than the rest of the population.

Question; should group X be barred from giving blood?

All I'm asking that the answer be the same, regardless of what "group X" happens to be.

Perhaps I'm misreading you, but you appear to be arguing that its just a fallacy that HIV/AIDS is mainly in the gay community.

The most plausible theory that I have heard, unless there's better ones been advanced recently, is that it's a mutated monkey virus which passed into the human population when.... well, I'd rather not say. :gag:

Go on, you can say it....

When someone ate some badly cooked chimpanzee bushmeat.

Go on then! :D

John X

A federal committee recommends maintaining the policy preventing gay men from donating blood in the United States, provoking disappointment and anger from gay activist groups.

The Federal Advisory Committee on Blood Safety and Availability voted 9 to 6 against lifting the ban Friday. This committee makes recommendations to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Im sure they did not just vote against it because they had not done their home work.

Will that do ? Maybe if you wish to know more you could Google the FAC and see their reasoning for yourself.

In which case - as he just posted - you should be arguing to exclude all people who have ever had sexual intercourse. The whole of that group has a higher percentage of people with HIV than the group that has never had sex.

Another person who cannot grasp the basic concept of percentages ?

For every person with it there will be x amount of people not with it. As we need blood then that is a calculated risk.

Another calculated risk is that if the majority has it then the probability of risk is increased, hence it making sense to exclude that risk once it has been identified if the benefits does not out weigh the risk.

Now you should be arguing to keep the status quo and keep the ban, but Im sure you won't.

Perhaps I'm misreading you, but you appear to be arguing that its just a fallacy that HIV/AIDS is mainly in the gay community.
No its called jumping on a band wagon without actually thinking things through. I have not been on the forum for some time but its nice to see that some people still on here have not changed :hihi:

Archived