Recurring dreams

You should definitely go and see a doctor about these nightmares. At least to ascertain whether they are invoked by these strong painkillers that you are taking.

As I understand it, it is simple. You mentioned that you are taking pain killers, and that they are giving you nightmares. I said nightmares are a psychological effect from something from your life. In this instance you said that it is the pills. I said either stop taking them, or do something about it in your life to stop the nightmares. I did not know why or need to know why you are taking those pills. All I was concerned is that, you do have a choice to deal with the nightmares.

Now that you have told me about the fact that they were for a lung operation, and then RA afterwards. You have to ask yourself, whether you do want psychologist support or not. To me, the fact that you told me this, gives me the impression that you may be traumatized from the experience, and may need some counselling, if anything. As painkillers reduces physical pains, but what fixes the psychological side of the experience?

Anyhow, no malice or deliberate obtuse intended, so I wish you a speedy recovery!

The pills are Tramadol, an opiate for the surgical nerve damage and I also take steroids for arthritis. I'm afraid that strange dreams and nightmares are par for the course for these drugs, they are listed on the side effects list.

• 2 weeks later...

After studying psychology I can indeed tell you that dreams are a reaction to your unconscious mind, The unconscious mind being the 10% .. obviously a lot more in some peoples cases, of your brain that you don't access/choose not to access in day to day life, which is sometimes accessed during dreams.. Which includes conflicts, pain and hurt, anger and regret. The unconscious mind can be the underlying reason of your actions or feelings that you feel and you may not even know it..

So as your answer shankle, I'd say this 'old close friend' still means a lot to you and maybe the effort they put in (depending on the situation your in) wasn't appreciated by you and when they finally walked away (in your dream, got chased on a bike) it was too late for whatever they or you wanted to talk about.

The unconscious mind being the 10% .. obviously a lot more in some peoples cases, of your brain that you don't access/choose not to access in day to day life,
Any evidence for that claim?

which is sometimes accessed during dreams.. Which includes conflicts, pain and hurt, anger and regret. The unconscious mind can be the underlying reason of your actions or feelings that you feel and you may not even know it..
This is all just supposition though.

Archived