Driving another vehicle not belonging to me

I wonder if you could answer a query that I have, Regards car insurance.

My insurance is fully comp and allows me to drive other vehicles not belonging to me,

if I do drive another car not belonging to me, does that other car HAVE TO BE INSURED by its owner ?.

im under the impression its NO. AM I insured to DRIVE it with my policy but not able to claim etc ?.

regards the law am i covered but not covered to make a claim.

cheers jud

I think it has to be insured otherwise you could have the situation where you own and insure a banger for peanuts but drive your wife's/husband's ferrari without having to pay any premium for that...and usually the driving other cars is limited to third party (I think)

I wonder if you could answer a query that I have, Regards car insurance.

My insurance is fully comp and allows me to drive other vehicles not belonging to me,

if I do drive another car not belonging to me, does that other car HAVE TO BE INSURED by its owner ?.

im under the impression its NO. AM I insured to DRIVE it with my policy but not able to claim etc ?.

regards the law am i covered but not covered to make a claim.

cheers jud

It is very much dependent on the wording of your insurance policy. Most will say that you have 3rd party cover (mine is actually comprehensive), but of course it must be insured by it's owner otherwise you could park uninsured vehicles all over the place.

It is very much dependent on the wording of your insurance policy. Most will say that you have 3rd party cover (mine is actually comprehensive), but of course it must be insured by it's owner otherwise you could park uninsured vehicles all over the place.

it must be insured by it's owner otherwise you could park uninsured vehicles all over the place.

yes i think you could be right, this makes sense to me

For you to drive it legally you have to be insured by your policy for any other car. That covers your obligations as regards the RTA.

As for the SORN/offroad issue - it has to have tax as well, and if the owner doent's have it insure they commit an offence. You don't however and can still drive it, although you may find you set off the attention of the police if you go past them.

Archived