9/11 anniversary coverage all over the news - Why?

Why all the attention on this one event. Before i get flamed i have sympathy with all people who lost friends and family during this event but for it to be getting all the coverage is IMHO way over the top for the following reasons

It happened in America not Britain - we dont hold memorials for all the attacks by the IRA and i bet the americans dont hold memorials for the event of 7/7 in London

It was the reason used for a madman to go to an illegal war against someone not even related to the attacks and drag his lapdog with him (George jr)

If we are going to hold a memorial then it should be to remember all the servicemen and women who have lost their lives in the conflict following the attacks. they are the ones that should be remembered for doing their duty to the country without question, not the people that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Question - If this had happened in a another country would we still be discussing it 10 years later?

To repeat though - my thoughts go to all families and friends who lost loved ones in the Twin towers but also spare a thought for others who died ON 11th September 2001 not just IN 9/11

Why all the attention on this one event. Before i get flamed i have sympathy with all people who lost friends and family during this event but for it to be getting all the coverage is IMHO way over the top for the following reasons

It happened in America not Britain - we dont hold memorials for all the attacks by the IRA and i bet the americans dont hold memorials for the event of 7/7 in London

It was the reason used for a madman to go to an illegal war against someone not even related to the attacks and drag his lapdog with him (George jr)

If we are going to hold a memorial then it should be to remember all the servicemen and women who have lost their lives in the conflict following the attacks. they are the ones that should be remembered for doing their duty to the country without question, not the people that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Question - If this had happened in a another country would we still be discussing it 10 years later?

To repeat though - my thoughts go to all families and friends who lost loved ones in the Twin towers but also spare a thought for others who died ON 11th September 2001 not just IN 9/11

To be fair there were more Britons killed in 9/11 than in any single act by the IRA (I think) so it's not exactly un-noteworthy here.

Also it did end up with Article 5 of the NATO treaty being onvoked - again affecting us rather directly as well.

We hold a memorial service every year for our fallen servicemen and women, on Remembrance Day.

Interesting and valid points. I think the scale of the event and the fact that something like 100 or so different countries lost citizens on that day give it the international recognition you see before you.

I think if this happened elsewhere then yes, we would still remember 10 years on. It was wholesale murder on a scale that has not been seen for a very long time. Something like that will never vanish from the public eye.

I'm sorry if remembrence of this terrible event troubles you. It must interest some in the UK, and I'm sure there will be some interest in the tenth anniversary of 7/7 in America. However nobody is forcing you to watch it on TV or read about it in the Mirror. That's one of the freedoms we both share.:)

I saw an advert last night, can't remember what channel it will be aired on, but 10 years to the exact minute of the attacks, they are playing the video footage of it happening as a memorial programme. Is it just me who thinks that maybe the relatives of the people who died would like to remember them in a different way, rather than watching a video clip of them dying, exactly 10 years to the minute?

Be vigilant, if you see any of your family/friends or neighbours doing something suspicious, report them!

Make a note of what books they are reading, if they haven't got them from a state authorised library, pass this on to your local intelligence officer.

I have huge sympathy for those who were affected in the events of 11th Sept. I was not affected personally, and will not be reading/watching any more of this year's coverage, a sizeable proportion of which so far I have found to be over-the-top and full of hyperbole ("The day that changed the world" etc, not my world it didn't!) and it's also highly unlikely that anything "new" will be produced after 10 years. However I appreciate that those directly affected may welcome the opportunity to commemorate the date - maybe after this year's anniversary, the media coverage in future years will be significantly reduced except on significant anniversaries e.g. 25 years.

Archived