Paying for your children

I don't think the OP is talking so much about child benefit though, as this is a quite small amount of money per week. I think she probably means child tax credits, which increase quite a lot with each extra child. If they were capped, at say, £100 per week for 2 children, and didn't go up with subsequent ones, it may just make people think twice before having another child for an extra £50-60 per week.

I don't think the OP is talking so much about child benefit though, as this is a quite small amount of money per week. I think she probably means child tax credits, which increase quite a lot with each extra child. If they were capped, at say, £100 per week for 2 children, and didn't go up with subsequent ones, it may just make people think twice before having another child for an extra £50-60 per week.

I would sign my agreement to that.

I also think having children should be a priviledge not a right

As it is people's right to have as many kids as they wish, following the Chinese would not be acceptable. So what about this. If you wish to have children the govt will provide what they do now for up to two children, any more children in that family should be provided for by the family, totally. That way if you cant afford them dont have em. Kids are the responsibilty of the parents, not everyone else.

Mother of four, grandmother of 8

I'd go further and say the first child only.

Archived