Homelessness up 17%

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/874922-homelessness-rises-by-a-fifth-in-britain-according-to-new-figures

A total of 11,820 applicants were officially categorised as having nowhere to live and eligible to go on council housing waiting lists – a 17 per cent increase on the same quarter last year.

This quarter homelessness is up 17%, last quarter homelessness was up 15%.

We now have homelessness inflation!

And the interest rates haven't even began to rise yet, they're plenty of 'soon to be homeless' to be added to the figures when interest rates raise.

Until recently I always equated homelessness with literally having nowhere to go i.e. sleeping on the streets, I now know that the two things are classed quite differently and the actual number of rough sleepers is in the low hundreds for the country as a whole, with a large proportion of those in London.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/874922-homelessness-rises-by-a-fifth-in-britain-according-to-new-figures

And the interest rates haven't even began to rise yet, they're plenty of 'soon to be homeless' to be added to the figures when interest rates raise.

How is Homeless defined ?

They are seeking to change the definition to reduce homelessness.

They can reduce homelessness ;)

It seems madness to me that we don't have a large house building programne to provide affordable council housing and employment.

Private housing could be provided by the same scheme by selling the houses at a percentage above the land/building costs.

Another option would be to construct prefabs as we had after the war.

17%? Really? it said homelessness is up a 1/5 now when I was at school that used to be 20% ... or am I missing something?

17%? Really? it said homelessness is up a 1/5 now when I was at school that used to be 20% ... or am I missing something?

Did you read the article or just the headline?

The number of homeless people in Britain has risen by almost a fifth in the past year, new figures show.

It goes on to say 17%.

There is a bit of rounding up involved. Technically it's closer to one sixth though, so your right, the title in the metro is somewhat misleading.

How is Homeless defined ?

roughly speaking there are two categories: one is having no settled accommodation of your own but not being owed a rehousing duty by a local council. People in this situation usually 'sofa surf' until they get somewhere or go and live with family, often in overcrowded conditions. Total homeless applications are actually up about 25% on last year.

the second is the group owed a rehousing duty by a local council, and this is the group referenced in the article - up 17%. The problem is that lots of councils don't really have any homes for these people. Plus private landlords are now less keen to rent to people on benefits because housing benefit has reduced and there are plenty of people who can pay the higher rent

It seems madness to me that we don't have a large house building programne to provide affordable council housing and employment.

Private housing could be provided by the same scheme by selling the houses at a percentage above the land/building costs.

Another option would be to construct prefabs as we had after the war.

i wonder why the government havent thought of this? the construction industry is at an all time low so why dont they start a building boom now while the prices will be low for labour .

Register homeless and you get priority on social housing. Time served on a waiting list is pointless.

Archived