Homelessness up 17%

Low hundreds? That seems a bit low to me. Just walking through Sheffield city center you can see loads of people living rough.

We had a talk at work from a local charity that works with homeless people, they say that their figures show there are 13 rough sleepers in Sheffield. Official council figures say 3, but the council only count people who are actually lying down to sleep at the time the survey is done, not those who are walking around or sitting.

It would very much help productive business.

Buy to let landlords would be screwed, but I've no sympathy for them, and they produce nothing of value anyhow.

If people don't have to spend a disproportionate amount on housing then they can spend money elsewhere in the economy.

i have a nice warm shed at the bottom of the garden that could easily sleep four...the rent would be nominal...

also a nice unit that is available at £120 for a month...get ten in that...that would solve the problem

And the interest rates haven't even began to rise yet, they're plenty of 'soon to be homeless' to be added to the figures when interest rates raise.

1 million empty homes in the UK [The Independent, 2009]

If only that unsustainable housing bubble had been reigned in earlier by the BoE instead of being fueled by interest rate cuts. Homes might actually be affordable.

Interest rates are at 300 year lows and yet people are struggling.

Are we facing a repossessions time-bomb?

Of course the tendency towards liar loans didn't help.

It may sound heartless but those who lied about their incomes to buy a pile of overpriced bricks during the biggest housing bubble in UK history, well... to be honest, I've not much sympathy for them.

1 million empty homes in the UK [The Independent, 2009]

If only that unsustainable housing bubble had been reigned in earlier by the BoE instead of being fueled by interest rate cuts. Homes might actually be affordable.

Interest rates are at 300 year lows and yet people are struggling.

Are we facing a repossessions time-bomb?

Of course the tendency towards liar loans didn't help.

It may sound heartless but those who lied about their incomes to buy a pile of overpriced bricks during the biggest housing bubble in UK history, well... to be honest, I've not much sympathy for them.

Have you read post #22 Vague Boy?

A B2L landlord reckons he CREATES CAPITAL. :hihi:

No wonder the country is screwed :(

Archived