Stripping wallpaper - any good advice?

I borrowed 2 steamers, pluggeed them both in and shut the door. Whe I went back an hour later it was like a steam room and the paper and even the 20 layers of paint on the ceiling pretty much fell off!

You left 2 steamers on and the room filled up with steam ?

Thanks for the warning who would have guessed.

I borrowed 2 steamers, pluggeed them both in and shut the door. Whe I went back an hour later it was like a steam room and the paper and even the 20 layers of paint on the ceiling pretty much fell off!

I'm surprised the door still opened LOL!

You could invite all your mates round for a messy sauna party and give them all a wallpaper stripper tool :D

I need to strip a room back to the plaster. It is papered with wood chip and has 40 years of emulsions (several coats). So far I have only managed to strip about 3 square ft. The paper is very brittle and will only come off in small 6 inch strips before tearing off.

Has anybody got any good advice or pro-tips? :huh:

This sounds very similar to a room that I redid a couple years ago. The wood chip was truly awful to get off. We bought a steamer hoping it would do the trick but it was very dependent upon how the walls were finished underneath (we discovered that they all were different). Although one wall came off in strips, the majority of the paper came off in about 50p chunks and it took us months to finish. On the plus side, it looked fabulous when it was done.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that your plan of scoring the paper and then soaking it with hot soapy water was what worked best in our situation. I hope it works out for you.

I'm surprised the door still opened LOL!

You could invite all your mates round for a messy sauna party and give them all a wallpaper stripper tool :D

Did you manage to remove everything at the party?In my experience thereis always a piece which stubbornly resists all attempts at removal.

Archived