Queries: student benefit,council tax & talktalk?

sunmk

Hi everyone :)

I have some queries if you could help please:

- My son ,16 years old has just started colllege and am not sure what benefit should he apply to, apart the transport or education fees.

- If I own my house will I pay council tax?

- Is talktalk any good? or any one else?

many thanks

If your son is only 16 and in full time education there is no formal benefit that he can apply for. The education is paid for and I assume he is living at home so he has no major financial comittments.

If you are on a low income then you should be able to apply for a grant through the college student services to assist with travel costs and any other equipment costs required for the course. Other than that I dont think there is anything else. Speak to the college as they have advisors there who can tell you what's on offer.

If he is only there part time then he probably can claim for Jobseekers Allowance but you can usually only get that if your education is UNDER a certain amount of hours per week. If you dont meet this criteria then there is little you can do except try and find a part time job.

As for council tax that again will depend on your income too. Some people, despite living in council houses still are liable for CT. Its normally included within the rent but the best place to find out is Howden House.

As for talk talk IMO they are crap. Try plusnet - they have an offer on at the moment.

• 1 month later...

If you are the same Canadians i read about on the leedsforum. I don't think you should have a problem. I hear they just waltz into sheffield, arm in arm and get the whole lot for nought at all. You know like the mayhem to riches. oh i maid a mistake, it's the rags to riches, oh yeah tats it..

If you own your own house you should be paying council tax regardless. Unless your house is worth less than £16k and you have no savings and no income.

Not necessarily. A small income or benefits may mean no or only part of the council tax will have to be paid. And the value of the property is irrelevant. The £16,000 rule concerns the level of savings not the value of the home.

Archived