Big freeze from November - what are your plans for survival?

Karis-----please don 't think us old 'uns are panicking. We were steadfast against the Bosch in '39 and we can face anything------winter freeze-ups, global warming, droughts, floods, hurricanes and people playing bagpipes.

Perhaps the only thing that cause consternation amongst the ranks is if the beer runs out at the British Legion, the Stripper can 't make it or we lose our DVD of Lady GaGa. Otherwise we face misfortune with a smile and a song. Remember we lived through the Callaghan-Thatcher years as well.

Did you read and inwardly digest?

The poster was, I submit, taking a gentle dig at 'Weather Warnings'

No I did not inwardly digest the post, it was a rant. Was the OP trying to create a panic, so we all clear the supermarket shelves.

If it gets bad then just deal with it and stop bleating.

I presume you dont remember 1963 and 1978/79 in Sheffield, where we all got on with it and survived.

Grow up.

No I did not inwardly digest the post, it was a rant. Was the OP trying to create a panic, so we all clear the supermarket shelves.

If it gets bad then just deal with it and stop bleating.

I presume you dont remember 1963 and 1978/79 in Sheffield, where we all got on with it and survived.

Grow up.

the OP was saying the exact same thing as you've just said, he was using sarcasm that you clearly dont get.

the "grow up comment" just made you look a bit silly

I was glad to see that Hurricane Cameroon-Clegg did very little damage to our little Eden. Many predicted that it would cause violent offenders to be horse-whipped in public or put in Juvenile Labour Camps, Quangos would be purged and thousands of free-loaders would be exiled to the Falklands, illegal immigrants would be stopped at the ports or hunted down and sent home if they were already here.........and that police would desert their computer screens and do some policing on the streets.

Well, none of these catastrophes has happened and we can all get back to Big Brother, Celebrity Big Brother and the X Factor, knowing that life will continue in its own sweet way. Phew....! But what a near miss !

Karis-----please don 't think us old 'uns are panicking. We were steadfast against the Bosch in '39 and we can face anything------winter freeze-ups, global warming, droughts, floods, hurricanes and people playing bagpipes.

I can't say I'm not extremely nervous about the possibility of a big chill.

If we have snow like last year my mail order business will go bankrupt; so I'm really pensive about it.

I just pray it snows in November... Mind you, I've done a LOT of shows lately and the forecast - even from Met Weather - has been very wrong on more than 90% of the time.

or you could simply not drive along roads like the snake pass when it snows

Why not? I did! :hihi:

Was off on holiday one Christmas, setting off at 2am and drove down Lodge Lane from Lodge Moor, then onto the snake pass and past a sign that was covered in snow. Made it all the way across, only stopping once to dig ourselves out.

Even trundled past two 4x4's with their drivers inside, looking gobsmacked as we waved on our way past. There must have been about 6-8 inches of snow on the road.

Got to Glossop and spotted the sign 'Road Ahead closed' :hihi: A battered old Vectra made it across the Snake.

All sorted for a cosy winter, thanks. Got all my mountaineering gear, including down sleeping bag. Got enough pasta and rice to keep a small army going. Oh, and in the process of procuring enough logs for the wood burner so won't be so reliant on gas to keep the house warm. Like I said, it's going to be a cosy little winter at Orange Towers.

Archived