How dangerous is a conker?

danot

Having googled this question out of sheer curiosity, I came across this web page containing a list of seemingly harmless activities that have been banned from certain schools and public events and compulsory safety checks and procedures that are enforced by employers on the grounds of health and safety which in actuality, according to the HSE, pose very little risk at all.

So, is it health and safety that's gone mad, or is it merely being used as a means to an end?

http://www.malehealth.co.uk/node/19320

Having googled this question out of sheer curiosity, I came across this web page containing a list of seemingly harmless activities that have been banned from certain schools and public events and compulsory safety checks and procedures that are enforced by employers on the grounds of health and safety which in actuality, according to the HSE, pose very little risk at all.

So, is it health and safety that's gone mad, or is it merely being used as a means to an end?

http://www.malehealth.co.uk/node/19320

The article is debunking the health and safety gawn mad theory and gives the real reasons why some activities were banned. Inability to insure some activities is one.

Er...this (non) story first broke in about 1980 when one wacky primary Head got fed up with kids belting each other over the head with conkers. It's been blown out of all proportion, mainly by the Daily Mail (yawn). Most primary schools do allow games of conkers, and marbles and running about and all the other other stuff kids normally do in playgrounds.

They did ban British Bulldogs in my school though because it got very violent, two kids collided head on and one got concussion and the other lost three teeth.

Archived