Boarding a train at a different station

Hi wondered if anyone can give me some advice, my sister and her friend are going on holiday and are getting the train to Gatwick. Her friend who lives in Sheffield (my sister lives in Chesterfield) has booked both rail tickets from Sheffield by mistake, now what I want to know is can my sister get on the train at Chesterfield or do you have to board the train at the station printed on the ticket. Tried phoning the station but cant get to speak to anyone, press 1 for this and 2 for that but only get general info, thanks

I can't see there'll be a problem. Chesterfield is like Sheffield, an open station so there are no barriers. No one checks you when you get on usually although there may be inspectors about. I know someone who got done there once but he was getting off without a ticket. Ask at the station and see if they can change their tickets to set off at Chesterfield. It might even be a couple of quid cheaper.

Ask at the station and see if they can change their tickets to set off at Chesterfield. It might even be a couple of quid cheaper.

If it's any kind of an advance fare, there is most likely a £5 or £10 charge for changing it, would would be more than the amount you could save. (I've run into that problem before!)

From EMTs conditions and National Conditions of Carriage:

Advance tickets - you can't

Walk-on tickets - you can as long as the ticket you hold is valid for the train you want to use i.e a super-off peak ticket

arriving in London St Pancras International at or after 1129 Monday to Friday.

Your friend will be fine. Chances are the guard wont have made it to where your freind will be sat by Chesterfield. Only minor problem i can think of is the seat reservation, someone might notice its not being used and sit there. But thats the only potential problem and its minor to say the least.

Archived