Atheism: new religion?

chorba

possibly the correct word is not religion but obsession.

An odd choice of words. Atheism is only an obsession when the person holding the view is obsessed. Beyond that it is no more or less an obsession than holding any other idea.

For the most part, churchgoers have an hour with others on Sunday, run charities now and then, and probably feel a little superior. Let it be.

That's an incredibly twee interpretation. That may be your personal experience, and I would agree with it to a point because the handful of religious people I know are lovely people, but fundamentalists do exist. There are people who would force their beliefs onto others.

The more I talk to atheists the more convinced I'm that atheism is a new religion.

Some of them try to impose their non-religiosity just like some religious people try to impose their religiosity.

They have no doubts that their way is the right way, just like religious people. They both claim they have seen "the light".

Some of them are as stubborn, extremist and intolerant as some religious people.

Some atheists claim religion makes people stupid, but I have seen as much stupidity coming from them as from religious people.

Atheism is a form of belief. It is believing in no god. It therefore comes with the same "phenomenons" as the other religions.

A belief that doesn't require faith and is based on logic isn't a religion.

Not really.

The title is a bit misleading.

I think most atheists and most religious people leave their lives and let live.

I'm saying some atheists preach the non existence of god just like some religious people would preach their religion and their god.

On the London buses sometime ago, there was an add saying: "THERE'S PROBABLY NO GOD. NOW STOP WORRYING AND ENJOY YOUR LIFE."

An Agnostic statement surely? Preaching about something doesn't make it a religion though.

Atheism is just the absence of Theism, meaning the belief in god. It should be a lazy kind of belief, meaning the atheist doesn't really care and personally has no belief in any religion.

Just recently it's come to mean something much more hardcore and I've heard Richard Dawkins described as a "devout atheist", which just about sums him up. I'm of the older lazier kind of atheist belief. I might even be an agnostic, which is an even lazier belief system... :thumbsup:

...............:thumbsup:

I contend that we are all atheists. I simply believe in one fewer God than some do. When they understand why they dismiss all the other possible Gods, they will understand why I dismiss theirs!:)

This is a very interesting comment.

Archived