Atheism: new religion?

chorba

I don't really object to anything.

Saying "I know there is no god" sounds arrogant that's why they don't say it but they nevertheless think it.

If they doubt about the existence of a god then they are agnostics not atheists.

I am an atheist. I do not know that there are no gods, I just do not believe that there are.

That makes me an agnostic and an atheist, they are not mutually exclusive.

(also, See Onewheeldave, this is exactly what I mean!)

That is why it's called faith. Faith is believing in something you don't see.

Do atheists never experience the feeling of having "faith"? No necessary the faith in god but just faith in general.

What does the world "faith mean" to them?

Also why not be more affirmative and say " I know god doesn't exist".

If I had to give my opinion on the giant flying spaghetti monster I would say " I know the monster doesn't exist".

Because it's impossible to prove that something doesnt exist. It can be very v very unlikely however.

For example - I ask you to prove that the FSM doesnt exist.

That is why it's called faith. Faith is believing in something you don't see.

Do atheists never experience the feeling of having "faith"? No necessary the faith in god but just faith in general.

Well if you define faith as 'believing in something you don't see' then I guess I have faith in the existence of wind, air, smells, sound waves, etc. :hihi:

What does the world "faith mean" to them?
I would define it as a persistent belief in something for which there is no rational reason to believe.

Also why not be more affirmative and say " I know god doesn't exist".
Because I don't know that.

If I had to give my opinion on the giant flying spaghetti monster I would say " I know the monster doesn't exist".
Well you'd be wrong.

And do you have an opinion on people who believe in a god or in gods?

Do you think it's ridiculous to believe in a divinity?

Me, I find believing in the spaghetti monster ridiculous and I wouldn't hesitate to say that I know that the monster doesn't exist, I have no doubts about its non existence.

I do. I think it's ridiculous. It makes me feel superior to them.

That said, I accept the possibility, however small, that I could be wrong and, under normal circumstances, I leave them to it.

Archived