Atheism: new religion?

chorba

No.

I know.

No you don't.

According to the laws of physics you can't have pasta flying around in the air.
Ooh this should be fun, I'm going to try and play by only giving answers that religious people haven given to me in the past about god...

In this case I'm gonna go with:

You can't understand his divine noodlyness using man made laws of physics! he transcends those laws. That would be like an ant trying to understand you or me. :P

What'ya got next?

Message #375 you clearly explained your position which I understand.
Like I said, I doubt that. I am entitled do so am I not?

Do you feel the same about the spaghetti monster?

Do you accept the possibility that you could be wrong about its non existence?

If not then to an atheist what is the difference between the spaghetti monster and God?

Do you feel that there is a difference?

Honestly.

Yes and yes to the first two.

The difference between the two, to my mind, is that the flying spaghetti monster has been made up to illustrate a point whereas the God thing is a manifestation of the most basic of human instincts - the survival instinct.

Honestly.

Because it's impossible to prove that something doesnt exist. It can be very v very unlikely however.

For example - I ask you to prove that the FSM doesnt exist.

If I were asked that, I'd want to be given some characteristics of the FSM- other than it is made of sphagetti and it flies.

Is it visible, where is it etc. etc.

Originally Posted by chorba View Post

Ooh this should be fun, I'm going to try and play by only giving answers that religious people haven given to me in the past about god...

In this case I'm gonna go with:

You can't understand his divine noodlyness using man made laws of physics! he transcends those laws. That would be like an ant trying to understand you or me. :P

What'ya got next?

Like I said, I doubt that. I am entitled do so am I not?

But, his point is valid, according to the laws of physics you can't have pasta flying around in the air.

Unless, for example, it has some kind of propulsion system, but, that kind of reply can only occur if the point raised is being addressed.

All that anecdotes about past conversations with believers, who have used dodgy reasoning in an attempt to justify their belief that God cannot be detected by scientific means, can do, is show that religious people often use dodgy reasoning, which we knew all along, and, which doesn't seem to have any relevance to the actual point.

which was-

Originally Posted by chorba View Post

If not then to an atheist what is the difference between the spaghetti monster and God?

Honestly.

The only difference is that more people believe in god.

I forgot to actually answer your message.

It's exactly what I said in an earlier post.

You can't prove that god doesn't exist like you can't prove that it exists.

If someone proves that god exists then we would know that god exists and so we wouldn't believe in it.

When there is a proof we no longer believe, we know.

:hihi:that is desperate!

Not so. One can very readily observe pasta 'flying around' in the air.

Put some spaghetti in a tumble drier; throw a bag of tagliatelle off the top of a multistorey car park or chuck ditalini out of a light aircraft.

Is it actually made of pasta or does it just look like a spaghetti based snack? Maybe its antimatter spaghetti? In which case it would be able to fly wouldn't it?

http://www.venganza.org/

I looked at the website but it is unclear whether the FSM is actually made of pasta, I guess that would be difficult to determine without proof of its existence. Its interesting I didn't know it had anything to do with pirates:huh:

Honestly.

One is imaginary and the other is a pasta based deity of course... :huh:

Archived