Atheism: new religion?

chorba

an athiest has formed a view presumably by thinking, exploring,researching.

lets respect that....and respect the person of faith too,who has formed an opposite opinion.but has thought long and hard before reaching that conclusion....isnt that better then just never wondering?

an athiest has never been able to prove there isnt a god

a believer can't prove there is.

lets respect that....and respect the person of faith too,who has formed an opposite opinion.but has thought long and hard before reaching that conclusion....isnt that better then just never wondering?

I'm not sure many believers HAVE thought long and hard about their beliefs. In most religions you are told from childhood what to believe, questioning these beliefs is usually frowned upon.

That's not to say there AREN'T people who've thought long and hard about it, people who turn to religion later in life obviously don't go through this childhood (won't quite call it brainwashing) "education".

These are the people that interest me, Id really like to know what convinces them that a god(s) exists. Maybe they could tell me, I genuinely would like to know.

maybe they have had experiences in their lives that have touched them deeply......emotionally...maybe they have met someone who has influenced them and led them to seach for further information....i suppose then ultimately it is what a person chooses to accept.i agree there are people who have never questioned what they were taught in childhood.but the majority have i am sure...faith is something that can't be fully explained.

maybe they have had experiences in their lives that have touched them deeply......emotionally...maybe they have met someone who has influenced them and led them to seach for further information....i suppose then ultimately it is what a person chooses to accept.i agree there are people who have never questioned what they were taught in childhood.but the majority have i am sure...faith is something that can't be fully explained.

I'm sorry I don't believe that. If anyone of ANY faith would like to share their secret of belief with me, in PM, free from hostility or ridicule, you're very welcome to!

Should we respect an adult that still believes in Santa as well? They may have thought long and hard about it, and still be deluded.

For the first part:

I completely agree, but I personally have met as many atheists telling me what I should not believe as religious people telling me what I should believe.

For the second part:

Maybe people don't discuss it on a public forum because it is a personal/intimate question.

:hihi: Well done for standing up for yourself.

I whole-heartedly agree with you on this point. I do not see why others need to argue the toss over a simple thread as this.

I do not think that even atheists are that ethical either.

The main branches of ethics are meta-ethics, normative ethics, and applied ethics. Meta-ethics concerns the nature of ethical thought, such as the origins of the words good and bad, and origins of other comparative words of various ethical systems, whether there are absolute ethical truths, and how such truths could be known. Normative ethics are more concerned with the questions of how one ought to act, and what the right course of action is. This is where most ethical theories are generated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy

I too think that it is unethical for some people to be so extreme with their approach towards others on topics such as atheism.

Whoever you are, well done for standing up for your belief. ;)

"force"?

"arrogant"?

"verbal violence"?

I think I have to concur with flamingjimmy, don't be such a drama queen.

If you don't like what a'theists say, don't read their articles or listen to them. If there's one thing that they're not doing it's forcing you to believe a certain way. As if that's even possible with an adult anyway.

I did have a knock on the door from Christians yesterday though.

It is when a decent person do not expect someone else to jump down their throat on atheism, or rationality, or rationalising atheism and so forth. If you have something to share, then share it. Though, do not expect others to really accepts your views too. If you are so complete with yourself and believe in atheism, why would you need to preach to someone else anyway ?

:hihi: Well done for standing up for yourself.

I whole-heartedly agree with you on this point. I do not see why others need to argue the toss over a simple thread as this.

I do not think that even atheists are that ethical either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy

I too think that it is unethical for some people to be so extreme with their approach towards others on topics such as atheism.

Whoever you are, well done for standing up for your belief. ;)

Well done for standing up for himself? Others need to argue the toss over a thread like this?

Why are you trying to make it out to be something it's not? Chorba gave a straight and positive response to my straight and positive post (both straight and positive in terms of discussion).

His post wasn't defensive and mine wasn't offensive. You keep saying that people are arguing when all we're doing is discussing a topic, in this case one that that Chorba started. If you have such strong views against discussion (as you keep showing) then maybe a forum isn't for you. You might be better off reading blogs.

Archived