Atheism: new religion?

chorba

There is no reason to think atheists are less intolerant than religious people

Well, apart from the historical tendency of most major religions to burn, hang, stone, torture and imprison those who don't believe what they do (It still goes on in some places) and the successful attempts of many religious groups to use tax money for the purposes of indoctinating children from a young age under the guise of education, oh and the thing about gays, but apart from those few things, I don't suppose there is any reason at all to presume that religious people are more likely to show signs of intolerance than atheists.

I suppose it also depends on the definition of 'intolerance' you go with. I go with the old one, where the dislike of other people's ideas is coupled with a wish to suppress those ideas through intimidation and coersion. However, many of the religious people who come on SF seem to have a new definition, which is that merely by disagreeing with or questioning their posts, you are being intolerant, but curiously, they are not being intolerant when they do the same thing to you.

Well, apart from the historical tendency of most major religions to burn, hang, stone, torture and imprison those who don't believe what they do (It still goes on in some places) and the successful attempts of many religious groups to use tax money for the purposes of indoctinating children from a young age under the guise of education, oh and the thing about gays, but apart from those few things, I don't suppose there is any reason at all to presume that religious people are more likely to show signs of intolerance than atheists.

I suppose it also depends on the definition of 'intolerance' you go with. I go with the old one, where the dislike of other people's ideas is coupled with a wish to suppress those ideas through intimidation and coersion. However, many of the religious people who come on SF seem to have a new definition, which is that merely by disagreeing with or questioning their posts, you are being intolerant, but curiously, they are not being intolerant when they do the same thing to you.

:hihi:sorry that was a major typo, it should have said "less tolerant" not "less intolerant" whoopsie :hihi:

I will just add an additional comment-if atheism is a religion (:loopy:), it ain't new!

Archived