Atheism: new religion?

chorba

Of course.

Ah, well this is the cause of our disagreement. Respect is something you earn, and believing in fairy tales when you should known better doesn't garner any respect from me.

But be aware that for someone who believes in god , god and Santa are not at the same level. Obviously.

They're at exactly the same level.

I do understand that for for some atheists it's exactly the same thing.

You mean for all rational people, not 'some' atheists.

I have no problem with atheists stating that there is no god.

I have a problem with people trying to impose their beliefs on others.

I don't think it's even possible to impose a belief on someone. It is possible to try to convince them, as you were doing when pointing out that pasta can't fly.

If religious people had not been indoctrinated throughout their childhoods via their parents and school and later life through their peers I would hazard a guess that no-one would have come to the belief that there is a god.

Thats what makes me an atheist-there is no reason to think otherwise.

I am also an a'pastaist but I believe in both god and the spaghetti monster to exactly the same degree. All religions are equally (in)valid.

Should we respect an adult that still believes in Santa as well?

I don't know any adult that believes in Santa- I've come across many who believed in some intelligent creator when they were young and still do now in adulthood.

I'm curious to know how you liken Santa and God as the same (as you said in your other post)- that they were 'exactly the same'.

You can dismiss belief in Santa with evidence. It is also logically fallacious to compare God and Santa.

Absence of evidence is not at all the same as evidence of absence.

Archived