Atheism: new religion?

chorba

Irresponsible people are everywhere.

Don't blame it on religion.

All the communist regimes, fascist regimes, Nazis etc ect have nothing to do with religion and yet killed people, brainwashed people.

Apart from fascist Italy, Germany, and Japan, the three classic examples of fascism, all of which had lots to do with religion, and used it to aid in their brainwashing.

I don't know any adult that believes in Santa- I've come across many who believed in some intelligent creator when they were young and still do now in adulthood.

I'm curious to know how you liken Santa and God as the same (as you said in your other post)- that they were 'exactly the same'.

You can dismiss belief in Santa with evidence. It is also logically fallacious to compare God and Santa.

Absence of evidence is not at all the same as evidence of absence.

what evidence?

I don't know any adult that believes in Santa- I've come across many who believed in some intelligent creator when they were young and still do now in adulthood.

I'm curious to know how you liken Santa and God as the same (as you said in your other post)- that they were 'exactly the same'.

You can dismiss belief in Santa with evidence.

It is also logically fallacious to compare God and Santa.

Absence of evidence is not at all the same as evidence of absence.

That is not what's being argued. Simply that there is equal evidence for the existence of Santa as there is for god, it is in that sense that they are exactly the same and for that reason that believing in Santa is equally rational to believing in god (ie. not at all).

You can dismiss Santa, just as you can dismiss god, but you cannot prove that either of them do not exist.

And exactly which logical fallacy is being committed by comparing Santa to God? Because I have the sneaking suspicion you don't know what you're talking about and are using big words you don't fully understand.

Irresponsible people are everywhere.

Don't blame it on religion.

All the communist regimes, fascist regimes, Nazis etc ect have nothing to do with religion and yet killed people, brainwashed people.

You can brainwash people with pretty much everything, TV, adverts etc etc. I don't think atheists are less or more brainwashed than believers.

I didn't, I said examples of believing irresposibly were burning heretics etc

I did not claim that all irresponsible people are religious-that was a mental jump!

....would that be a leap of faith?:hihi:

I also didn't claim that atheists were less brainwashed, that was a leap again. They are however not brainwashed by religion.

That is not what's being argued. Simply that there is equal evidence for the existence of Santa as their is for god, it is in that sense that they are exactly the same and for that reason that believing in Santa is equally rational to believing in god (ie. not at all).

You can dismiss Santa, just as you can dismiss god, but you cannot prove that either of them do not exist.

And exactly which logical fallacy is being committed by comparing Santa to God? Because I have the sneaking suspicion you don't know what you're talking about and are using big words you don't fully understand.

Oh please! You're not the only one who has studied some philosophy.:rolleyes:

I was alluding to the fact that we have strong evidence that Santa does not exist. You cannot compare them. Atheists just throw it around and its nothing more the rhetoric.

You also have a vast majority of people who continue to believe in God- why do they not abandon it like they do with believing in Santa (as a child). It's simply because the two do not compare. The grounds of belief are much, much different.

Archived