Atheism: new religion?

chorba

Oh please! You're not the only one who has studied some philosophy.:rolleyes:
You didn't answer my question, which logical fallacy was it that you think was being put forward, because thus far, you've done little to dim my suspicions that you don't know what you're talking about, I'll even help you out, try picking one of these, you've got a lot to choose from, but be quick, otherwise it's gonna seem like you're only researching it now! ;)

I was alluding to the fact that we have strong evidence that Santa does not exist.
That is not a fact, there is no evidence that Santa does not exist.

You also have a vast majority of people who continue to believe in God- why do they not abandon it like they do with believing in Santa (as a child).
Now that is a logical fallacy! Specifically an argumentum ad populum, it is not valid.

Absence of evidence is not at all the same as evidence of absence.

Absence of evidence is not proof of absence, but it can be evidence of absence.

In the case of the Abrahamic God, for which many claims are made which would result in many evidences, absence of evidence is most definitely evidence of absence.

I apologise for the intolerant nature of this message.

Oh please! You're not the only one who has studied some philosophy.:rolleyes:

I was alluding to the fact that we have strong evidence that Santa does not exist. You cannot compare them. Atheists just throw it around and its nothing more the rhetoric.

You also have a vast majority of people who continue to believe in God- why do they not abandon it like they do with believing in Santa (as a child). It's simply because the two do not compare. The grounds of belief are much, much different.

Again, what evidence?

and "much different":confused:

Surely the first believer couldn't have been brainwashed by society, parents etc etc.

Following your reasoning we all have been indoctrinated by the education, the teachings that we have received. In fact they way we live our lives, what we think etc etc is a direct result of some kind of indoctrination.

it depends what we are talking about, I have been told things at school many times without proof. In adult life reading around a subject proves that some of these things are in fact true.

The first believer? See scientology! Someone made it up perhaps to lower crime, perhaps because they loved attention.

Archived