Atheism: new religion?

chorba

No, actually, when it comes to establishing the common-usage of a word, you'll find that people use whichever dictionary they happen to have handy.

I'll stick with the original OED definition if it's all the same with you.

2. one who believes God does not exist

the majority will go for option 2 (try it, i have: just make sure it's a random sample- not just any anti-theist friends or people from the sceptical movement).

This is funny! Take a random sample but make sure it doesn't just contain people who know what they're talking about. **titter**

This is funny! Take a random sample but make sure it doesn't just contain people who know what they're talking about. **titter**

No- a random sample of the public is exactly that. I was simply pointing out that a possible danger may be, for those who are antitheists or in the sceptical movement, is that they tend to have a disproportionatly high number of antitheists/scepticals amongst the people they ask- which would not be representative of the public.

(of course, people in the sceptical movement should, more than anyone, be aware of such dangers, but, I've found that they can be a bit blind to these things when they go against their current beliefs).

Archived