Colour scheme for living room

My favourite is a natural stone type colour, its in the Craig & Rose Opulence Range called 'Pale Cashmere' we've painted several room in that colour and changed the accessory colours, so we have the trendy Greens with it for the bedroom, teal accessories in the office, Brown & bronze accessories in the hallway etc and even though the walls are painted in the same colour in each room, they all look different because of the furniture and accessories that are in there. We've dont this in the last 2 house and it saves painting every couple of months when you get bored with it, instead just box up the accessories and change them for new colours! Cheaper and easier than a weekend of painting!

There are a few sings that can effect a room.

The size and shape of the room.

The normal daylight of a room.

The style of your funrishings.

The colour of your furnishings.

There are thousands of pictures of interiors of houses on the Internet. One of them is bound to be similar to yours, why not have a look to get some ideas?

im starting afresh in the room,so have a blank canvas,having a new 3 piece,curtains,carpet,cushions,tv

It depends on what you like, and what kind of function you want in the room.

As it is a terrace house, natural lighting may be limited. Therefore you got to choose a lighter colour or shade to reflect any amount of natural light the room gets.

If the room is smaller than say 10 ft x 10 ft. Then do not choose too large pieces of furniture, cos it will crowd the room and leave it looking very small.

I recommend the ikea website to get some ideas. Then choose furniture pieces carefully. I personally like these new "off white" kind of colours that are now on the market. For me, I also like the cottage look, rather than the swedish style which ikea promotes. So I try and find old antique pieces which are small in sizes for my small living rooms than the standard sizes from ikea.

For ideas and looks, google "interior design" online, and you may find some website to give you different kind of looks.

im starting afresh in the room,so have a blank canvas,having a new 3 piece,curtains,carpet,cushions,tv

If it's a small room, go for lighter colours. If you feel your room is small you can also paint/decorate the outer walls in a lighter colour to try and add to the length of the room.

Some tips here http://www.ehow.com/how_13257_decorate-room-so.html

• 1 month later...

You can experiment with monochromatic colour scheme. A dark olive green backdrop for your bay window and the rest of the room with light olive green can look stunning and add grace to the entire living room.

Since you said the floor is wooden, natural shades would do justice to the flooring and also help bring out the nature centric appeal.

Get paint pot testers (Dulux run about £2 each at B&Q) and chose a feature wall colour and wall colour you like. Paint, let dry and see how theyll go in your room. We've used them numerous times and worked like a charm. We've even bought custom mix pots (about £4-6 pounds, pricey but if its the colour you want, can use when painting)

That being said our room is cream and chocolate (but settees are milky coffee colour and our flooring is oak) and so far looks nice. We've gone safe and decided to use various bits of graphic art to add bright colour to the room that way. We also had new settees (well theyre 4 years old) so we had to make sure the paint didnt clash with the existing furniture.

Good luck!

Archived