What defines someone being Wrong or right on public forums?

danot

What is it that defines someone being wrong or right on public forums such as this?

Is it painstaking sifting through countless web pages to then hand select any relevant Wiki links and news reports that support(although not necessarily prove right)an argument that is being challenged? Incidentally, since Wiki links can only support, not prove right an argument, do they actually strengthen anyone's argument?

Is being right or wrong on a public forum the same as being right or wrong in face to face debating? Is it necessary to refrain from revealing one's true feelings on sensitive issues such as ethnicity, religion, culture, homosexuality when on public forums in case of verbal backlash, or it totally different as membership anonymity tends to give cause to the less savory traits of debating such as nit-picking, name calling, trolling and the "majority rule" mentality whereby a resounding 'you're wrong', or, troll, or, racist by the majority is deemed sufficient evidence the minority is wrong?

The usual Chomskian filter dictates truth and lies saint and sinner.

Those that own the Forum have their own interests and alliances, those posters that serve or reinforce those interests prosper they don't get banned and more of the same ilk are encouraged to post thereby forming a majority or at least a consensus.

The rest become fair game truth and virtue will rest with the majority that inevitably evolves.

When you've been convinced that your argument has no basis?
In other words, being wrong is knowing you are wrong. Is that what you mean?

Posted by ronthenekred

I'm not sure why the "public forum" bit has any relevance as to right and or wrong.

The "public forum" bit is the sole reason I posted the question. It's asking what defines someone believing they are right or someone else is wrong. It's OK saying I'm right and you're wrong because this article supports my argument, when in actuality, the article that supports their argument isn't actually proving the opposing argument wrong is it.

So, what defines convincing someone that their argument has no basis?

What is it that defines someone being wrong or right on public forums such as this?

Pretty much the same things that define them as being right or wrong elsewhere.

Take retep's claim for example that it's illegal to wear a face covering - it's just straight wrong, whether he's said it here or in the pub - it's factually incorrect.

Archived