What defines someone being Wrong or right on public forums?

danot

I always think I'm right (since I wouldn't be posting something I already knew to be false.)

Sometimes I turn out not to be. Sometimes I manage to correct other people's erroneous beliefs. Most often, if it's a complex subject such as politics or religion, most people don't concern themselves even with basic logic, let alone reasoned argument, so it's impossible for anyone to ever convince anyone else who is right or wrong.

... unless you were a 'non self-confessed liar'; unintentional liar; or delusional, which in any case's could be a defence for posting false 'facts'.

I know what I know and I know what I don't know and I never argue about things I don't know about.

But how do we know that you know what you know? It's possible that you only think you know what you know. How is it possible to know what you don't know?

Only asking.

I generally try to avoid getting into debated arguement on the forum with folks who have a posting count which is a large multiple of the days they have been a member on here.

Such debate is obviously a waste of time because such folks will always have the last word as they clearly have more time to waste than you. This is probably down to the fact that they are unemployable due to their know it all attitude.

I know what I know and I know what I don't know and I never argue about things I don't know about.
But if you disregard as being rumor what you've been told, disregard as being bias what you have read and disregard as being propaganda that on TV.. what would you know for certain?

I generally try to avoid getting into debated arguement on the forum with folks who have a posting count which is a large multiple of the days they have been a member on here.

Such debate is obviously a waste of time because such folks will always have the last word as they clearly have more time to waste than you. This is probably down to the fact that they are unemployable due to their know it all attitude.

You on the other hand don't even get a moment to sit down but then again in your case that is probably a good thing. :hihi:

What is it that defines someone being wrong or right on public forums such as this?

Is it painstaking sifting through countless web pages to then hand select any relevant Wiki links and news reports that support(although not necessarily prove right)an argument that is being challenged? Incidentally, since Wiki links can only support, not prove right an argument, do they actually strengthen anyone's argument?

Is being right or wrong on a public forum the same as being right or wrong in face to face debating? Is it necessary to refrain from revealing one's true feelings on sensitive issues such as ethnicity, religion, culture, homosexuality when on public forums in case of verbal backlash, or it totally different as membership anonymity tends to give cause to the less savory traits of debating such as nit-picking, name calling, trolling and the "majority rule" mentality whereby a resounding 'you're wrong', or, troll, or, racist by the majority is deemed sufficient evidence the minority is wrong?

Surely it depends on the topic in question.

Some things have a right or wrong answer, factual things which someone can check and reference. Other things are entirely a matter of opinion and there is no criteria for being right or wrong.

Archived