Supposed Christian Philanthropist who makes money from the poor via usury

Records lodged with the Electoral Commission reveal that the Funding Corporation Group Ltd (FCGL), based in Warwickshire, donated £105,000 to the Tories on 24 June. The company also gave £25,000 last December.

FCGL owns 99.9% of the Funding Corporation Ltd which sells cars on hire purchase plans to drivers with poor credit ratings through a subsidiary, ACF Car Finance. The Funding Corporation Ltd also owns a debt recovery business, Red2Black Collections.

The companies are ultimately owned by Lord Edmiston, a staunch Tory party supporter and Christian philanthropist, who gave the Conservatives almost £300,000 between 2004 and 2009 under his own name….

One man described in an online forum how he nearly bought a £7,000 car from ACF that would have ended up costing him £325 a month over 60 months, a total cost of £19,500, equivalent to an interest rate of almost 200%. Another bought a car valued at £5,995. But the true cost when interest and PPI was factored in came to £16,445…

Measures that would have forced the lenders to curb some of their practices, were voted down by Lib Dem

http://yorksranter.wordpress.com/

The story is also in the Gruniad...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/sep/11/conservatives-party-funding-sub-prime

So a man whom deems himself to be a Christian philanthropist loans money to the poor at a rate of 200%. Interestingly, he also owns a debt recovery business.

Being a Christian, one would expect him to have read the bible.

If thou lend money to any of my people that is poor by thee, thou shalt not be to him as an usurer, neither shalt thou lay upon him usury.

8 He that by usury and unjust gain increaseth his substance, he shall gather it for him that will pity the poor.

9 He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

10 Whoso causeth the righteous to go astray in an evil way, he shall fall himself into his own pit: but the upright shall have good things in possession.

11 The rich man is wise in his own conceit; but the poor that hath understanding searcheth him out.

To profit from the poor via usury in order to give back to the poor, doesn't sound very philanthropic to me. Seems a bit like a thief trying to redeem himself by giving back what he has stolen whilst trying to hide his crime, and gain credit for returning what was stolen in the first place.

to a large extent, interest rates reflect the risk to the lender of them not getting their money back. so it's not surprising that people who lend to those with a poor credit rating charge a high rate of interest.

That is if you are lending to make a profit via usury.

Muslims don't do interest. The West tends not to like Muslims.

Once upon a time the Christians didn't either.

Personally I'm an atheist, however I've read a fair chunk of the bible since proclaiming myself to be an atheist, and parts of the Koran and other religious texts too, I intend to read them all before I die.

I've read a bit about Islamic banking and it essentially allows for usury, albeit under another name, e.g. rent.

Rent, interest, profit, they are all similar.

• 1 month later...

This story has been edited since it was first posted*

The following correction was published on 18 September 2011:

In "Tories take donations from firm behind 200% loans" (News), we noted that one man "nearly bought a £7,000 car from ACF that would have ended up costing him £325 a month over 60 months, a total cost of £19,500, equivalent to an interest rate of almost 200%." This is not an interest rate (which would be an annual or monthly figure) of 200%. It is a total interest payment of 178% of the original loan spread over five years, which would give an APR of just over 51%.

http://yorksranter.wordpress.com/

The story is also in the Gruniad...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/sep/11/conservatives-party-funding-sub-prime

So a man whom deems himself to be a Christian philanthropist loans money to the poor at a rate of 200%. Interestingly, he also owns a debt recovery business.

Being a Christian, one would expect him to have read the bible.

To profit from the poor via usury in order to give back to the poor, doesn't sound very philanthropic to me. Seems a bit like a thief trying to redeem himself by giving back what he has stolen whilst trying to hide his crime, and gain credit for returning what was stolen in the first place.

Post #1 is wholly wrong in presuming that the Bible binds Christians; it doesn't.

'Usury' is permitted to them. They misguidedly (but voluntarily) forswore usury.

Plus lending to the 'poor' is not usury, anyway!

Archived