What is a moderate muslim?

Is it possible to be 'Moderate' and 'Muslim'?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible to be 'Moderate' and 'Muslim'?

I really do not see how you can be a Muslim and moderate. The religion is so extreme in its attitude to human rights.

Do moderate muslims not follow the Koran in the same way?

Do moderate muslims not follow every aspect of sharia?

Or are moderate muslims 'defined' as muslims who do not commit acts of terror or support acts of terror? If so has anyone asked for a muslims definition of terrorist? As one persons terrorist is anothers freedoms fighter.

The word Moderate and Muslim trouble me, because I cannot see how the two gel.

Its like saying 'A moderate member of the EDL or BNP'

Im open to correction on this.

I'm more than happy to correct you:-

From an Islamic scholar (16/3/2010)

Mr. Tahir-ul-Qadri said, "Terrorism is terrorism, violence is violence, and it has no place in Islamic teaching and no justification can be provided for it. ... The world needs an absolute, unconditional, unqualified and total condemnation of terrorism."

Mr. Tahir-ul-Qadri said the actions of suicide bombers make them non believers, and said, "Their act is never, ever to be considered jihad."

And this is my stance, too.

(http://www.voanews.com/policy/editorials/Fatwah-Issued-Against-Terrorism-87853947.html)

"In Islam, creating social discord or disorder, breach of peace, rioting, bloodshed, pillage or plunder and killing of innocent persons anywhere in the world are all considered most inhuman crimes."

Mr. Tahir-ul-Qadri said, "Terrorism is terrorism, violence is violence, and it has no place in Islamic teaching and no justification can be provided for it. ... The world needs an absolute, unconditional, unqualified and total condemnation of terrorism."

Mr. Tahir-ul-Qadri said the actions of suicide bombers make them non believers, and said, "Their act is never, ever to be considered jihad."

(http://www.voanews.com/policy/editorials/Fatwah-Issued-Against-Terrorism-87853947.html)

"In Islam, creating social discord or disorder, breach of peace, rioting, bloodshed, pillage or plunder and killing of innocent persons anywhere in the world are all considered most inhuman crimes."

Thanks, but again how is all this defined? The Korans very clear on killing and lying of and to none muslims.

Thanks, but again how is all this defined? The Korans very clear on killing and lying of and to none muslims.

it's also very clear about this

Can you explain the Taliban then?

I see the words, but the actions don't always match in the Arab world...

it's also very clear about this

Is everthing in the koran of equal value? or is whats written later of more importance than earlier?

Plop your confusing the word Muslim with the word Nutter.

its perfectly easy to be a muslim and moderate, in the same way tis easy to be christian and moderate, jewish and moderate,

Moderate is what the majority of people are.

your seeing the actions of a few exteme nutters and painting every muslim with the same brush.

Hitler has a catholic father and in speaches promoted "positive Christianity" would your question have been, is it possible to be a christian and moderate after his actions.

its very easy for nutters to twist words in any historical piece of fiction (the bible, the koran etc) to their own ends but that should never condem the rest of the people who read those books.

Archived