What is a moderate muslim?

Is it possible to be 'Moderate' and 'Muslim'?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible to be 'Moderate' and 'Muslim'?

Can you explain the Taliban then?

I see the words, but the actions don't always match in the Arab world...

I've already made my comments, many times, about the contempt in which I hold the Taliban. For example the outrageous edict that women cannot receive an education:-

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

in Islam, both male AND female have the right to an education, and indeed, are obliged/ expected to gain an education, according to their capacity/ abilities.

In denying this right to the women in their society, the Taliban are going against their own scriptures.

My own personal opinion is that the Taleban are frightened that if the women gain enough knowledge to challenge their idiotic and misogynist views, they will lose any power they have over the women.

"Knowledge is power" and all that... I think they are such erm... "limp-members" - lol- to phrase it in a family friendly way - that they are terrified that a "mere" ( :roll: )woman may surpass them in learning and challenge their idiocy. (haha God-Forbid, eh! :roll: )

(edit to add:- see my sig line below which says "Some people think little girls should be seen and not heard. Oh bondage! up yours!" )

I really do not see how you can be a Muslim and moderate. The religion is so extreme in its attitude to human rights.

Do moderate muslims not follow the Koran in the same way?

Do moderate muslims not follow every aspect of sharia?

Or are moderate muslims 'defined' as muslims who do not commit acts of terror or support acts of terror? If so has anyone asked for a muslims definition of terrorist? As one persons terrorist is anothers freedoms fighter.

Its only the same as Christians. Some follow the bible to the letter, some do not. They're still Christians though.

Sadly its always the minority who spoil it for everyone resulting in tarring everyone with the same brush. A minority who found Life of Brian offensive and ask for it to be banned (I'm a Christian and find it wonderful).

I really do not see how you can be a Muslim and moderate. The religion is so extreme in its attitude to human rights.

Do moderate muslims not follow the Koran in the same way?

Do moderate muslims not follow every aspect of sharia?

Or are moderate muslims 'defined' as muslims who do not commit acts of terror or support acts of terror? If so has anyone asked for a muslims definition of terrorist? As one persons terrorist is anothers freedoms fighter.

The word Moderate and Muslim trouble me, because I cannot see how the two gel.

Its like saying 'A moderate member of the EDL or BNP'

Im open to correction on this.

Dear Plop,

You don't see because you don't look. Like any world religion their is no monolithic consensus defining how the faithful should behave.

"the religion is so extreme in it's attitude to human rights"

Adherents will have a broadly varied attitudes to the concept of human rights.

"Do moderate muslims not follow the Koran in the same way?"

Many sects within Islam follow the Koran in different ways. i suspect that even within the same mosque or the same family muslims will follow the Koran in different ways.

"Do moderate muslims not follow every aspect of sharia?

Many muslims do not follow sharia at all.

I doubt there is any consensual definition of a 'moderate muslim' this is a term conjured up for the benefit of journalists.

You stand corrected.

ta

Plop your confusing the word Muslim with the word Nutter.

its perfectly easy to be a muslim and moderate, in the same way tis easy to be christian and moderate, jewish and moderate,

Moderate is what the majority of people are.

your seeing the actions of a few exteme nutters and painting every muslim with the same brush.

Hitler has a catholic father and in speaches promoted "positive Christianity" would your question have been, is it possible to be a christian and moderate after his actions.

its very easy for nutters to twist words in any historical piece of fiction (the bible, the koran etc) to their own ends but that should never condem the rest of the people who read those books.

:thumbsup:

I've already made my comments, many times, about the contempt in which I hold the Taliban. For example the outrageous edict that women cannot receive an education:-

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

in Islam, both male AND female have the right to an education, and indeed, are obliged/ expected to gain an education, according to their capacity/ abilities.

In denying this right to the women in their society, the Taliban are going against their own scriptures.

My own personal opinion is that the Taleban are frightened that if the women gain enough knowledge to challenge their idiotic and misogynist views, they will lose any power they have over the women.

"Knowledge is power" and all that... I think they are such erm... "limp-members" - lol- to phrase it in a family friendly way - that they are terrified that a "mere" ( :roll: )woman may surpass them in learning and challenge their idiocy. (haha God-Forbid, eh! :roll: )

(edit to add:- see my sig line below which says "Some people think little girls should be seen and not heard. Oh bondage! up yours!" )

Yes I agree, but, are they Muslims never the less?

its perfectly easy to be a muslim and moderate, in the same way tis easy to be christian and moderate, jewish and moderate,

your seeing the actions of a few exteme nutters and painting every muslim with the same brush.

Hitler has a catholic father and in speaches promoted "positive Christianity" would your question have been, is it possible to be a christian and moderate after his actions.

its very easy for nutters to twist words in any historical piece of fiction (the bible, the koran etc) to their own ends but that should never condem the rest of the people who read those books.

Hitler was also reputed to have a Jew or Jews amongst his grandparents, wasn't he?

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :nod:

Well said oldskater.

Yes I agree, but, are they Muslims never the less?

Possibly, yes, possibly no. I think that the scripture "By their fruits shall ye know them!" would sum it up.

Someone might say "I'm on a weight reducing diet", but constantly be stuffing their faces with cream cakes, chips and full-fat cola... they may CLAIM they are, but the evidence in their actions may prove differently, no??

Possibly, yes, possibly no. I think that the scripture "By their fruits shall ye know them!" would sum it up.

Someone might say "I'm on a weight reducing diet", but constantly be stuffing their faces with cream cakes, chips and full-fat cola... they may CLAIM they are, but the evidence in their actions may prove differently, no??

So that's a definite yes then, but just bad ones...

Archived