What would you expect from a relaxing weekend break in a country hotel?

I just wonder what you have a right to expect when booking a relaxing weekend break in a luxury country retreat?

Last week we decided to take a weekend break and booked 2 nights in a luxury country hotel. The hotel described itself as an 18th century manor house that had been renovated to the highest standards as a luxury hotel. It certainly looked good on the website.

The rooms were well fitted and the restaurant promised freshly produced dishes made from locally sourced ingredients. We could take relaxing strolls around the beautifully maintained gardens, take coffee and drinks on the terrace or while away the evening in the well appointed bar.

We were offered a choice of 7 of the 10 suites at £150 for Saturday and a further £120 for Sunday night.

It certainly looked the part as we drove up the 1/4 mile long driveway. But then we found the car park was full. There was a wedding reception in full swing and we had to ignore the signs and park the car on one of the well manicured lawns.

On entering there were no staff to be seen. They were all fully engaged with the wedding party and we had to telephone to let them know that we had arrived.

The room was beautiful, but hardly tranquil. The single glazed windows doing little to keep out the noise from those enjoying coffee and drinks on the terrace. But undaunted we looked over the menus and rang reception to book in for the evening meal. This we were told would not be possible as there was a wedding reception in the dining room. Neither could we use the terrace or the gardens. So after a quick shower we took the car into the local village and went to a pub for a bar meal.

It was very nice but hardly worth the 4 hour drive from home, and we headed back to the hotel for a nightcap, arriving back at about 10.45.

Sadly we couldn't use the bar as this was in use by the wedding party and the dining room now hosted a disco, which was set to finish at midnight. So we got back in the car and searched out another pub. It was very pleasant but I couldn't help feeling a little overdressed, and of course I got lumbered with the driving.

Sure enough as we arrived back at the hotel folks were leaving in droves and we enjoyed a very comfortable night of sleep. Similarly in the morning breakfast was excellent with local produce and freshly made preserves. We were even asked if we would like Sunday lunch although this was just a carvery and the evening meal was also available but from a much reduced menu (it being Sunday).

To be honest we had had enough and paid for one night and set off home very disappointed.

What would you expect when booking a "weekend break". I would expect a remote hotel to have an obligation to look after its residents as a priority and be able to offer the use of the restaurant and bar to people who are booked in for the weekend.

Did you complain? I would, you were unable to use the facilities promised, and not through some unforeseen circumstance that you could forget about but the hotel must surely have known about the wedding party a good deal in advance and should have at least had the courtesy to tell you at the time of booking (unless there is some disclaimer on their website/brochure that says 'subject to availability' or similar). I'd be asking for a partial refund tbh!

What would you expect when booking a "weekend break". I would expect a remote hotel to have an obligation to look after its residents as a priority and be able to offer the use of the restaurant and bar to people who are booked in for the weekend.

So would I. At the very least, I would expect to be told at time of booking that there was a wedding on and facilities would be restricted.

Archived