Mathematical Genius Required

Hi

I borrowed £200 off my boss.

He charged me £40

And i have to pay it back at £120 A WEEK

Anyone work out a APR please...

VI

0.76% I think?

You'll pay £40 extra, over the two weeks it takes to pay it off, meaning that it's 20% over the year, assuming you make both payments, so divide that by 26.....It's actually 20% more, but APR is annual, whereas you'll pay this debt off in two weeks. You'll pay 20% on the debt, but you'll pay it off in two weeks, so in one year, you'll make two payments only, paying 20% interest.

Not really comparable to the TV ads as we don't know what he'd do if you didn't pay up - would he add interest etc.

EDIT. The other way to look at it is that it's 20% over two weeks, therefore if the debt was over a longer period, it'd be 26 x 20%, therefore 520%.

After much whittering, it's difficult to say as APR is annual, and there's no way this debt could be.

Hi

I borrowed £200 off my boss.

He charged me £40

And i have to pay it back at £120 A WEEK

Anyone work out a APR please...

VI

Er ... hang on ... just a sec ... tra la la ... erm ... times by three, subtract nine ... cosine 3.6729 ... dum de dum ... press 'enter' ... erm, here we go:

317.274(on a sliding matrix, of course) :)

He's effectively charging you £20 a week for the loan, which is £1,040 over a year.

£1,040 interest on a loan of £200 is just over 500% APR. And that's assuming that he hasn't used a compound interest rate. I'm not enough of a mathematical genius to figure out what the APR would be if you assume compound interest.

Er ... hang on ... just a sec ... tra la la ... erm ... times by three, subtract nine ... cosine 3.6729 ... dum de dum ... press 'enter' ... erm, here we go:

317.274(on a sliding matrix, of course) :)

It actually calculates at %3.58712 on the new tory fiddle the numbers even more scale.:hihi:

Archived